eBay buyer backed out of sale: what now?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I've had shit luck trying to sell this damn iPhone on eBay. My first buyer was spam and eBay booted their account. And now my second buyer, who as far as I can tell is real, won the bid and then messaged me saying he bought a phone at t-mobile - after winning my bid.

He didn't pay me, but is asking that I "cancel the order."

I don't feel like being nice. What can I do?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've had shit luck trying to sell this damn iPhone on eBay. My first buyer was spam and eBay booted their account. And now my second buyer, who as far as I can tell is real, won the bid and then messaged me saying he bought a phone at t-mobile - after winning my bid.

He didn't pay me, but is asking that I "cancel the order."

I don't feel like being nice. What can I do?

Open a non payment case against him, eBay will stick him with negative rep and refund any listing fees. I went through this exact same thing with a phone back in July...

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Here's what I did. I sent a note to the guy saying he's lucky I cooled down before doing anything and to be less careless with his bids in the future. I then used eBay's "Second chance" feature to let the next-highest bidder know the item is still for sale if they're interested. It was $10 less than the highest bidder.

I'm done with Craigslist. There have been a few CL robberies/beatings in the city, so I really just don't want to deal with CL anymore.

Anyone want a $260 iPhone 6? :rofl:

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
An option for CL is to do the transaction at the police department. In Aurora you can make your sale in their lot or even in the lobby. If a buyer doesn't want to meet at the police department that should set off a red flag.

I have done the same thing, I have family who are police officers and they encourage this. For high dollar items most departments will allow you to perform transactions with a police officer present.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Here's what I did. I sent a note to the guy saying he's lucky I cooled down before doing anything and to be less careless with his bids in the future. I then used eBay's "Second chance" feature to let the next-highest bidder know the item is still for sale if they're interested. It was $10 less than the highest bidder.

I'm done with Craigslist. There have been a few CL robberies/beatings in the city, so I really just don't want to deal with CL anymore.

Anyone want a $260 iPhone 6? :rofl:

Will it only work on T Mobile service?

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Either way you'll get your money back, but your two options are.

1) Be nice, agree to cancel, and you get your money back immediately, but nothing happens to the guy.

2) Be tough, file dispute, it will be over a week till you get your money back but he will have a strike on his user name, and if he gets another within a year his account is suspended or has buying restrictions put on it.

Ebay doesn't allow sellers to leave anything other than positive feedback, because they are communist assholes and don't care about sellers, so that option is out of the question.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info