Ham fest this sunday in St. Charles

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
What kind of galaxy's? Wilson 2000? Any rk56 mics?

2 dx66v's and 1 dx55v.. not sure what mics i have if any,. but also a old school wilson 1000s, and 1 wilson 500
the dx66v's have MASSIVE heatsinks and internal amps done to them. literally 90-100 watts, special battery power harnesses included.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I spent my childhood going to ham fests. I saw them go from full on dedicated Ham Radio swap meets to large flea marts for anything electronic and then the demographic started dying and so did the ham fests. The last one I went to was Dupage maybe 5 years ago and it was a fraction of it's original size.

I remember selling half my shit to get a 386 laptop that barely played SimCity Classic and at the next ham fest I sold that and got my first Dolby Digital 5.1 home theater in a box. The year was 1995...

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I have a scheduling conflict or else I'd go.

I just passed the tech exam last weekend and bought a complete mobile 2m/440 setup from HRO this week...Buuuut I wanted to get a second antenna to swap on when I'm out in the middle of nowhere(Larsen NMO2/70B). Right now I just have a Diamond NR72BNMO which is a low-profile, 14" dual-bander....But from what I've read, it works really really well for its size.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
:rofl: I just want the custom license plate.

I've heard some stories though... i'm sure the older ham ops with time to spare will report unlicensed broadcasts, its like a club you have to pay to be in.

I'm licensed it's fairly simple. You have a pool of multiple choice questions you get something like 30ish of, you score above 70% you get in the club.

That said, I wouldn't want to get a ham radio plate. Anyone who knows how to look your call up can figure out where you live. Not exactly secure.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I'm licensed it's fairly simple. You have a pool of multiple choice questions you get something like 30ish of, you score above 70% you get in the club.

That said, I wouldn't want to get a ham radio plate. Anyone who knows how to look your call up can figure out where you live. Not exactly secure.

That's why I registered mine to a lock-box instead of my home address.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
And as far as licensing:

I read this PDF front to back over the course of a few days: No-Nonsense Study Guides - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

And then took a few practice exams per night: https://hamexam.org/ and AA9PW FCC Exam Practice » Amateur Radio Exam Practice

All of the exam questions are published, and these practice exams use those questions... So this is more or less a brain dump. You'll see the same questions word for word on the exam.

But it worked. They don't tell you your score, but I sneaked a peak after they graded it. 34/35. I think 26/35 is passing.

It's nerdy...But whatever. It's something I've wanted to do since grade school, so I finally went and did it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info