Work boots

I've been looking at getting a new pair of work boots and I'm tired of going through cheap sets every few months. Anyone have recent experience using Red Wing? A lot of online reviews have been saying their quality has been going down over the years.

If Red Wing has really gone down, where would you recommend picking some up from? Looking for durability and comfort.

Clayton Bigsby

Regular
Jan 9, 2017
I swear someone just made a thread about work boots.

Post the link then fat ass.... I did a search, this is the one I found.

I've been rocking wolverines this past year and seem to be holding up rather well( I usually wear two cheap pair out a year). The insoles have a three month warranty, leather/stitching is a year and they're a steel toe boot. I normally don't get steel toed boots because of the extra weight but to be honest, I didn't notice the toe until a cross tie slipped and dropped on my toes. The bad is the fact that they're made in china but even Georgia boot is made in china now....

Clayton Bigsby

Regular
Jan 9, 2017
That's what sold me on the wolverines. The fact that they already felt broke in and were only $150. Fabric on the insoles did come loose after 3 months but they're still comfortable. I hike in the mountains easily 5 miles at a time so the insole failure was expected. I did try on some red wings but they were heavy as fuck and more than I wanted to spend.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
For work I use Timberline Pro and in winter time in snow conditions I use Rocky Blizzard Stalkers.
I also recently bought a pair of Under Armour boots hunting.

Attachments

• timberland-pro-endurance-8-inch-steel-toe-boot-18.jpg
    timberland-pro-endurance-8-inch-steel-toe-boot-18.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 2017-01-12-21-11-19-550227155.jpg
    2017-01-12-21-11-19-550227155.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 1226089-241.jpg
    1226089-241.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 91

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
What Brand? I didn't find any that wasn't made in china that was less than $250. I don't mind spending that much but couldn't find any that didn't feel like I had cinder blocks tied to my feet.
Those are Red Wing. They have certain boots that are made in China. The ones I suggested are not and are the best.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I had some redwing steel toes that weren't comfortable at all that I gave to my brother. The Irish Setter steel toes I got at the Redwing store feel great though. Year and a half of walking on railroad ballast and they are still in great shape except some cuts on the toes from catching them on the inside of rails. If you spend a lot of time on your feet I'd definitely recommend springing for the inserts that match the arch of your feet.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
That's what sold me on the wolverines. The fact that they already felt broke in and were only $150. Fabric on the insoles did come loose after 3 months but they're still comfortable. I hike in the mountains easily 5 miles at a time so the insole failure was expected. I did try on some red wings but they were heavy as fuck and more than I wanted to spend.
I used to wear Wolverines years ago, and you are correct, they are super comfy right out of the box. Bad part is I could never even get a year of use out of them and they lost support and comfort as they aged.

I will admit the Redwings took a good couple weeks to break in, but once they are, they're comfy as hell and stay comfy. I think my boots were around $260ish when I bought them a couple years ago, but it's cheaper to buy Redwings than it is to buy a pair of Wolverines every 9 months.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Red wings are the only boots i've owned that have held up, but they are not that comfortable. We have a boot truck that shows up to work every monday and I can get a new pair as often as I need them at no cost to me, so i just get what's comfortable. I've had timberland pro series, doc martin, caterpillar and wolverines. None of them last more than 6 months. I spend a lot of time on ladders and always end up cracking the soles due to standing on my toes flexed constantly.

The wolverine composite toes are what i'm currently wearing and have been the best pair i've worn of the stuff i've tried in regards to comfort.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
I'm strictly a Thorogood guy. Made in Wisconsin. No break in period. Hold up well. Can be had for under $200 online.

Had a great pair of wings about 10 years ago. Wore them for 4 years. Went back wanted the same ones. They weren't the same. Cost for made in the USA was $250 and they were the worst boots I've ever worn.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info