Firestone

spuhala

Regular
Nov 8, 2012
Naperville
This morning I had a blow out on I55 on my way to work, so I dropped off my tire at the local firestone and the guy behind the counter tells me I need to replace all 4 tires if I don't it will mess up the suspension of the vehicle because its a high performance SUV.

I looked at him and said I will just replace the one tire. I wonder how many people fall for that?

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
83fa7afc4230715b33ee15793ed122eddf34acb03f69f59715fa02251ffa0d3c.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Not true at all

If the other 3 tires are still in good shape you can have your new tire shaved to match the tread depth if the old tires.

Yes you are shaving tons of miles off the new tire. But it will prevent you from needing to drop coin on 4 tires.

Discount tire and tire rack offer the service.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Crazy. Never heard that before, but it makes sense.
I looked into it because my Focus RS is AWD, so I wanted to see what options were out there.

I looked into it when I considered buying the RS since it was AWD and I had heard about the 4 tires thing.

If the tires were in good enough shape, I'd just shave a tire, even though its essentially wasting some money. Better than buying 4 new tires and throwing 3 good ones away.

Makes sense but the shop he's at does not offer that service, so what they advised him to do was correct based on their capabilities

If I had a spare, I'd put that spare on the car, drive it over to Discount Tire, and buy a shaved tire there.

Only problem is from a recent search it looks like not all DT's can shave a tire, and might have to order a shaved tire from the warehouse. So thats down time. Tire-rack is the same, they shave it at the warehouse and ship it out.

Temp use on the spare shouldn't damage anything. A few days waiting for a shaved tire shouldn't be a problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info