Online College - Where to go?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Has anyone here taken online courses to complete an associates or more? I was interested in Phoenix, but that place has REALLY bad reviews. My mom suggested taking online classes at the local Waubonsee community college, but I'm not sure I can take everything online.

And yes, I really want to do it online with the same format as Phoenix where you're the boss of managing your own time.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
What are you planning to study?

Depending on your field, online college might be pretty worthless. That said, I know for fields like Education it seems to not matter as much if you did online or traditional school. My wife got her Masters in education online at American College of Education. She already had a BA in education from Bradley U.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I keep thinking about this as well.... I know my Mom won't be here forever, and I don't know if I'll stick around too much longer after she leaves and retires...

Everywhere I've gone so far has been just knowing people and getting in there and busting my ass, wouldn't hurt to try for a degree of some type just to have the piece of paper....

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
at an actual school, it doesn't make a difference. There is no difference in my degree if i took everything online or classroom. same piece of paper. Almost any school is going to offer online curriculum. whether you can complete an entire degree online is a different story.

you guys are thinking of these for profit schools that don't have much credibility.

another thing to keep in mind is the time involved with online class. The amount of reading and HW i've had in my online courses is more time than i'd have spent in a classroom taking the class.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I was going to go for something like business management, but the thing is, I really don't care what it's for, I just need it to decrease the time between promotions.

The actual process of going to school is my most dreadful and hated thing to do. I took a machining class, not hard at all, no HW at all, but being at the school 2 days/week for 3.5hrs sucked so bad. I can do all of my HW and reading at work as long as I'm not behind on my projects, so that's one of the things I would like to take advantage of using online courses. Plus I am surrounded by very smart people that can help me with anything I need when I'm at work.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I was going to go for something like business management, but the thing is, I really don't care what it's for, I just need it to decrease the time between promotions.

The actual process of going to school is my most dreadful and hated thing to do. I took a machining class, not hard at all, no HW at all, but being at the school 2 days/week for 3.5hrs sucked so bad. I can do all of my HW and reading at work as long as I'm not behind on my projects, so that's one of the things I would like to take advantage of using online courses. Plus I am surrounded by very smart people that can help me with anything I need when I'm at work.

college of dupage. exactly what i'm doing

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I personally wouldn't get anything business related from an online school. It might not matter at the company you're at, but most of the business world at least somewhat cares what school you went to. So if you ever had to, or wanted to leave, going to a traditional school would help.

I was in the same boat as you when I went to school, I friggen hated school. I made a choice that I just wanted to graduate, and didn't care about getting much out of it or getting good grades, so I did the bare minimum to graduate with a Finance degree. It made getting my first job more difficult, but once I got my foot in the door somewhere I was fine. No one ever asked for my GPA ever again after my first job. I also had friends that barely ever went to a single class all throughout college, and graduated. They'd do the homework, drop it off, show up on test day, and take their B or C. Not saying any of this is good advice, but its worked for some. You could always go to UIC or somewhere "cheap" and do the minimum and get your degree.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
i started going back for the same reason, shortcut time between promotions and raise the ceiling of what i'm qualified for. The piece of paper isn't going to mean anything.

To make more money id have to switch careers entirely, get a bachelors in something i'm not interested in and then put in another 5 years worth of experience. If i'm going to make more money than what i do now, it's going to be from starting a business which is going to make school entirely irrelevant again.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Have a degree isn't a bad thing for sure, but I agree getting one to get one isn't necessarily worth it, unless its cheap then definitely get one. I happen to have my Master's and I won't tell you it was all money well spent, but it has helped me.

Jared probably makes more money than I do right now. As do many in trades/unions....

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Have a degree isn't a bad thing for sure, but I agree getting one to get one isn't necessarily worth it, unless its cheap then definitely get one. I happen to have my Master's and I won't tell you it was all money well spent, but it has helped me.

Jared probably makes more money than I do right now. As do many in trades/unions....

I'm just concerned about if this job went away which direction I would go in....

My job is kind of a mish/mash of jobs so the pay works out well, I don't see ever finding this mix again so I'd have to figure out what direction to go in. I always enjoyed filling in for the facilities manager at the previous job, and wouldn't mind getting back into that.

Right now my title is manufacturing supervisor. I basically make sure work is getting out on time, but then I also do quoting on new jobs, facilities technician when anything breaks around here, now they have me trying to learn lean and 6S stuff to possibly get even more work. It's a small business so it's usually just if someone doesnt know it I get to figure out what we should do. :bowrofl:

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Well I didn't get my Master's because it got me anything immediately. Even now I can't say it has directly benefited me. But I did it because I wanted to have something that most people don't. That being said I don't foresee a doctorate in my future. That seems like entirely too much work for no good reason.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
About 5 years ago,I was traveling for work 5 days a week so there was no way I could attend school. So a blindly choose Devry online to finish my Bachelors degree.

I will say the following about Devry,

The Good
-There is no distinction between online and in school so that is good.
-Classes were pretty simple, I could do full time school while working 40 hours per week and driving roughly 5-10 hours per week and managing a girlfriend at the time.
-Instructors were nice and laid back with late homework if need be
-Alot of the bullshit math questions for tests were easily found on google.

-The bad
-COST, holy hell did it cost me alot of money (about 30k for two years of online college)
-I really didn't feel like I learned much, I know part of that is on me. But the assignments were very easy and not very challenging.
-Group work really sucked because it was all done via online or phone calls.

Thats about all I can think of right now.

But that being said, if you want the piece of paper it will never hurt you.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
When I applied to the job I have now 13 years ago nobody really talked that much about my Bachelor's in computer science. Sure they noticed it and I am hoping it impressed them... but they never mentioned it. My interviews were almost always entirely consumed by my internship at Walt Disney World....

I had to interview for my job recently at my new company and all we talked about was what I did at my current job... I think there may have been 1 quick reference to my education level but that is it. They know it, but what I am trying to say is what they really care about is your experiences.

My brother did Devry and he does very well so I won't knock it too hard but he paid for it for sure.

And agreed, that paper will never hurt you so if you can afford it and want it, go get it.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
That's the part I'm not sure about..... I've been a manufacturing supervisor for 8 years now, so is that as good as getting a supervisor certificate from CoD, or is it still worthwhile to get the piece of paper to back things up some?

Something on paper will ALWAYS help you! Remember this, when you apply for a job (if you are an outsider of course) all they have is a piece of paper to decide if you are qualified. And of course if you have that piece of paper you automatically look better than the person who doesn't.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
BTW, for everyone's knowledge, Jared and I basically pay nothing to go to school. Work pays for it, however they're changing it from 100% coverage to only 80%. Not sure if Argonne is the same or not. We have too many scientists going to $100k/yr schools :rofl: Jerks. I FINALLY decide to go to school after 10yrs of free school and now I have to pay 20% of it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info