Let's Talk about Garage Insulation

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
So I have a two garage that's half below grade on my split level. it has the original cedar door and has insulation behind the drywall (whatever the builder put in back in '78 I assume if it is like the walls it has R-12 in the walls IDK about cieling) either way ripping out drywall and replacing the door is on the list for the future however what tips, products, tricks are you guys using that I can steal to bandaid my cold garage. I don't give a shit about working in the garage I gave a torpedo heater I use if I need to do shit but my bedrooms above have cold floors and would like to help that a little bit. Thanks :jg:

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
I haven't, insulation in the house is a dark brown color. there is a HVAC soffit that runs parallel to the door in the middle of the garage, the cavity is open in my basement near the furnace but i don't feel cold air coming into the basement from it if that makes sense. .

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
A good seal kit on the garage door does wonders to keep cool air out of the garage. This can be done even before replacing the door.

Aside from that you need to rip into the drywall and see what insulation you have and if it needs to be replaced. Since you have bedrooms above the garage I'd spend the extra coin and get spray foam insulation put in there to create an air barrier.

When the ceiling is open I'd look at the insulation between the outer walls as well.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I did, not sure it did anything really so I then took the door panels out and replaced them with a better insulation panel. Honestly I think it was a waste of money as there was no noticeable difference in any of it. Air was still getting paste the sides and joints in the door. The garage with an open ceiling and insulated/drywalled side walls was always the same temp as outside air.

I had to replace the garage door about 4 years ago, I didn't spend any extra money on the panels and just got the standard R panels and the door seal kit and it made a huge difference! Now the garage stays around 40/50 degree's even in single digit weather, and when I run the heater in the garage it stays warm for a day or two after even with the open ceiling.

I had the work done by the garage door sponsor on CMC and I think the door, seal kit 2 new remote openers with labor was around $1100 with the discount. Great guys too. It was money well spent!

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
Need photos of said apron issues. And I will agree until u reinsulate probably still gonna have the cold problem. I did [MENTION=11595]Knowklew[/MENTION] garage (rip all drywall down and re did the whole thing) and found his register wasnt even connected properly and garagethe insulation was only in some places. Just finding that the register was fawked was a huge fix all in its self, then add the new insulation and finished drywall.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
I found a disconnected register last year and fixed that. I'll snap some pics later, but basically it's a 2 car wide by 24" slab that has a 6" drain in the center and on each end about 18" in is a crack and the outer ends have settled allowing water to just flow into garage, luckily garage floor has a 6" drain that water goes into and then out the sump pump. Basically I wanna re do the concrete and make 36" and run a trough drain the entire width of the garage door maybe the other 12" of driveway on either side as well. But I'm still in saving mode after kitchen remodel

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info