Pics From Chicago's Past

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I saw this pic today and thought a thread on old Chicago pics might be fun.

13537509_1209000222463994_5964668719979665050_n.jpg

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I've always been intrigued by Chicago's massive underground network of freight tunnels built in the early 1900s. 40 feet below street level, lies a forgotten maze of tunnels that were used to run telecom cables overhead, with train cars to deliver mail, coal, freight, collect trash. They were used to move earth to build land for Solider Field, Grant Park, and McCormick Place. This was abandoned in 1959, and access to the tunnels have been a hidden secret. In the early 90s, the tunnel system was rediscovered when it flooded from construction work.

Incredible pictures of Chicago's abandoned freight tunnels | Daily Mail Online

chicago-freight-tunnels-abandoned.jpg

chicago-freight-tunnels-abandoned-2.jpg

chicago-freight-tunnels-abandoned-7.jpg

chicago-freight-tunnels-abandoned-6.jpg

chicago-freight-tunnels-abandoned-4.jpg

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I've always been intrigued by Chicago's massive underground network of freight tunnels built in the early 1900s. 40 feet below street level, lies a forgotten maze of tunnels that were used to run telecom cables overhead, with train cars to deliver mail, coal, freight, collect trash. They were used to move earth to build land for Solider Field, Grant Park, and McCormick Place. This was abandoned in 1959, and access to the tunnels have been a hidden secret. In the early 90s, the tunnel system was rediscovered when it flooded from construction work.

Incredible pictures of Chicago's abandoned freight tunnels | Daily Mail Online

chicago-freight-tunnels-abandoned.jpg

chicago-freight-tunnels-abandoned-2.jpg

chicago-freight-tunnels-abandoned-7.jpg

chicago-freight-tunnels-abandoned-6.jpg

chicago-freight-tunnels-abandoned-4.jpg

We have these tunnels at our whse on 39th and Damen. They go all the way to Midway Airport. Been in them a few times with the engineer. He was told by an old timer that they used to fly dead soldiers in to Midway from one of the wars. Transport the bodies in the tunnel rail system, and would cremate them in the basement of our whse. Not sure if there is any truth to that. Engineer also has old ass prints on the tunnels at my whse. Very cool shit to see

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
We have these tunnels at our whse on 39th and Damen. They go all the way to Midway Airport. Been in them a few times with the engineer. He was told by an old timer that they used to fly dead soldiers in to Midway from one of the wars. Transport the bodies in the tunnel rail system, and would cremate them in the basement of our whse. Not sure if there is any truth to that. Engineer also has old ass prints on the tunnels at my whse. Very cool shit to see

that's crazy cool and a little creepy if true. Not to be too nosy, do the tunnels enter a deep basement or is there some sort of access to get further underground? From what I've read, old buildings have deep sub basements that connect to the tunnels, many have which been sealed up.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
These are some of the places from my memories as a kid before I moved away at 6 years old.

e4e5157e9d87096a729bbf877b107e46.jpg

Scan0048_0048.3.jpg

The fire engine ride at the old Santa's Village
santas-village-firetruck.jpeg

0004.jpg

servmdse.jpg

The day care I went to as a kid. I'll never forget throwing a handful of sand up in the air and having it fall into my eyes because I wanted to watch it come down. Such a silly kid I was.
70_big.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
that's crazy cool and a little creepy if true. Not to be too nosy, do the tunnels enter a deep basement or is there some sort of access to get further underground? From what I've read, old buildings have deep sub basements that connect to the tunnels, many have which been sealed up.

It's a sub basement and if I had to guess it's gotta be close to 30-40' below street level.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
These are some of the places from my memories as a kid before I moved away at 6 years old.

e4e5157e9d87096a729bbf877b107e46.jpg

Scan0048_0048.3.jpg

The fire engine ride at the old Santa's Village
santas-village-firetruck.jpeg

0004.jpg

servmdse.jpg

The day care I went to as a kid. I'll never forget throwing a handful of sand up in the air and having it fall into my eyes because I wanted to watch it come down. Such a silly kid I was.
70_big.jpg
I used to go to Santa's Village all the time. Especially Mother's Day, and quite a few times throughout the year.

One time I grabbed change from my mom to play the arcades. My cousin, brother, and I went and started playing but all I had was a few dimes and nickels. I put the dime in a certain way, then the nickel. I got about $5 in quarters back. I did it again only with the nickel, and again, another $5 in quarters. I ended up cleaning out the machine. The next time we went (the following year) they had a screw in the change slot. Lol

I also used to go to Kiddie Land every year with my cousin, up until I was to old for it.

Thread Info