BRB, moving to LA

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
At first when I saw this I thought it was zoomed in on a small stretch because parts of the 405 always look like this but then when he pulls out the shot and you see it's for miles...

LA's traffic problems aren't really because of any one issue. We have bad public transportation but that's partly because there's no city center so there's no one place that everyone is going. That's the bigger problem. LA is a city of sprawl. When you look at Chicago there's downtown and then as you get away things get less dense. That's not the case with LA. It's dense everywhere and there is no downtown. In fact, what we know as downtown was one of the deadest parts of the city until just a few years ago.

There is a running joke that how much you like Los Angeles depends on how close you live to your job and that's so true.

I couldn't do that, I'd end up being in the news for making a v plow on a semi and plowing thru it all while tossing grenades out the window.

It takes me about 35-40 minutes to work or home in an average day. 2 days ago tho i55 was a creepy mess from rt52 to i dunno maybe arsenal rd. I can't stand people that drive 5 under let alone a stop and go bumper to bumper ordeal. I'm the guy on the shoulder trying to find a way off either thru yards or small fencing maybe a u turn on the median.

Frostopsy

Regular
Oct 27, 2016
I'm glad I moved out of the Metropolitan DC area this year. Traffic is a standstill from 6am - 7pm everyday. Everyone wants to leave on the weekends, so there's no reprieve. There's also so side routes to escape to, you're just stuck. DC beat LA for bad traffic the past few years except for last year, it's really that bad.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Fuck that, no mas for me.

I did 1.5-2 hour commute for almost 3 years going from bolingbrook to ravenswood Chicago. A few times it took 5 hours to get home when there was bad weather.

I actually told my boss at the time I was going to either get a new job or get a divorce because my wife and I were ready to kill each other. Luckily they had another spot for me at another site which was an hour away but no traffic.

I don't mind a hour commute but I absolutely hate looking at brake lights the whole time.

Mebot

Regular
Jun 16, 2015
I'm glad I moved out of the Metropolitan DC area this year. Traffic is a standstill from 6am - 7pm everyday. Everyone wants to leave on the weekends, so there's no reprieve. There's also so side routes to escape to, you're just stuck. DC beat LA for bad traffic the past few years except for last year, it's really that bad.
This is correct. I also moved out of the Northern Virginia /DC area to Seattle which also ranks high on traffic & congestion lists. When people here in Seattle complain that "traffic is SO bad" I laugh and say have you been to DC?

But living in Northern Virginia taught me that no matter where you go you always give yourself an hour and 20 minutes. So traffic here in Seattle doesn't affect me as it does most other folks. It's just a way of life and planning around it

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Key to doing the ridiculous commute is the vehicle. John (The Beast) at APFord had hooked me up with a:

New 2014 Taurus SEL (black through and through, head to toe) - large presence on the road

3.5L N/A - reliable, low maintenance, good acceleration and MPG

Extremely comfortable, heated leather seats

Put on approx 35k+ miles a yr

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
This is where AutoPilot is awesome. If I know it's going to be like this and I absolutely have to be on the road I'll grab a burrito, turn on a podcast and let the car drive itself through traffic.

Yesterday it took us 3 hours to get out of the LA metro area and I Autopiloted the whole way out. It's still not fun but you're not in a rage because you're not spending 3 hours inching a foot forward and then bumping the steering wheel with your leg. I was turning around and giving the kids food, surfing the web on the car, etc. :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info