Paying off auto loan within two months - Bad for credit?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
As soon as the Evo sells, the VW will be paid off by January. Will it hurt my credit at all to pay the loan off that fast? Or is it better to string it along for a few months.

A smug rabbit for your time.

giphy.gif

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
It won't hurt your credit, but having the loan over a longer period of time will help your overall credit average life which can make your score go up a few points.

honestly I've paid off every car within a year of owning and my credit is over 800. it could probably be a little higher if I let those loans drag out and made payments on time, but at the end of the day your credit score isn't as important as your debt to income ratio. Some people have over 800 credit score but so many loans that new lenders would see as risky. Plus if you are looking at taking out a bigger loan later it could work against you that you have a car loan outstanding depending on how much the house is and what you are putting down.

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
only thing it will do is save you on intrest.

Check in to it before you actually do. When I bought the Grand Prix many moons ago, I checked with the loan holder (5/3 Bank) they advised it didnt matter if I paid it off early or not, I was still paying going to end up paying the interest. Jackasses...

So definitely double check!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Before I got my mortgage I paid off all my debt (not much) but it actually hurt my credit. If you have zero percent interest financing fuck it, keep paying. Free money. Keep money in the bank or invest it.

something else hurt your credit, it wasn't directly from paying off your debt.

it could have been from the hard hit from the mortgage app, or perhaps you closed some accounts, which could have hurt as well. but i highly doubt it was directly from paying off your debt.

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
Before I got my mortgage I paid off all my debt (not much) but it actually hurt my credit. If you have zero percent interest financing fuck it, keep paying. Free money. Keep money in the bank or invest it.

This! I had about 1,500 in revolving debt that I kept when I was going through my mortgage application and immediately paid it off when I signed my papers. Out of the three credit reports my lowest was 790.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info