Task: Put a heater in Eagle's garage

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
OK TCG! Show me what you got. I need a simple heater to install, that hopefully doesn't require an exhaust hole to be cut in the exterior wall.

I have (mostly) easy access to a gas line from the basement.

A couple neighbors have these wall mounted heaters that seem to work ok... but I'd like something that has an active fan in it as well as a thermostat.

I know someone out here knows about this stuff... what do you suggest?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Next up... how hard is it to do gas piping? I assume it goes like this...

1. shut off gas
2. cut pipe
3. thread pipe
4. apply some kind of sealant to pipe
5. insert T, add a cut off valve immediately after the T
6. turn gas back on
7. route more pipe through wall to the garage
8. add another cut off
9. run flexy pipe to heater unit
10. PROFIT

Am I about right? What about "sniffing" tools to see if I create any gas leaks?

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I learned to do gas for this. it is easy.... I re ran the main from my brother's meter this year and no issues. So I guess I've gone pro? lol

Soapy water is your friend or they sell leak detector bubble stuff which is what I actually used. I have a small piece of flex to the heater, good for the vibrations. Vented heater ftw but do what you gotta do.

My thread has already been tagged twice so yeah you can see that I bought a big vented heater.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Me and a few buddies have the Modine "Hot Dawg." You need to a cut a hole in the roof for exhaust but its not the worst job in the world. Probably raised my heating bill $10 during the winter time keep my garage at 55* when not in use and 70* when I'm out there farting around. Plus side is you get to tell all your buddies to check out your "hot dawg" lol

Residential Gas/Hydronic Unit Heaters | HVAC

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
b353a7fedb5ff50bac91b38028856a0e.png

CHECK OUT MY HOT DAWG!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info