Planes Catches Fire On Takeoff At O'Hare, Sending Up Huge Cloud Of Smoke

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20161028/ohare/plane-crash-ohare

CHICAGO — All passengers and crew survived after an American Airlines passenger flight to Miami caught fire on a runway at O'Hare Airport after reportedly blowing a tire on takeoff.

Video showed passengers fleeing the plane on the inflated safety chutes as thick black smoke and flames poured out of the right side of the plane.

Fire Dept. spokesman Larry Langford said a plane was down and was on fire, but had no additional details.

TV footage from O'Hare showed an intact American Airlines plane on the runway, with a charred right wing. Foam covered the runway as fire crews surrounded the plane.

ABC7 reported everyone on board was safe. The station reported it was American Flight No. 383 to Miami, and had aborted takeoff after blowing a tire. The aircraft was a Boeing 767, according to ABC7, citing a statement from FAA.

https://twitter.com/FlightAlerts777/status/792094397248729088

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Why are you just standing there?!?!

hqdefault.jpg

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
This is being made into a much bigger deal than it is. The guy freaking out in the video is hilarious. You didn't almost die you moron.

I was at work today (Chicago Approach Control) when this happened and I have a friend who was working at O'Hare tower at the time.

So, the plane stopped after engine failure and since they weren't at V1 (decide to fly speed for the layman) they aborted takeoff. When an engine fails below V1 the pilots will pull the throttles back to reverse thrust and then apply full brakes. Us being car guys know that brakes generate a lot of heat and large aircraft brakes are no exception. When full brakes are applied, you typically have tires blow and then they catch on fire. The fire on the bottom is the tires burning.

The plane wasn't going to explode. The fuel tanks are fireproof so unless they rupture from debris the fuel wasn't going to start burning. It looks bad because 4 large tires plus the engine were on fire, lol

EDIT: Just talked to my buddy again. Apparently they got bad info at first. There was actually an engine failure, and tires blew on braking so both the tires and the engine were on fire. Still not a huge deal. 767s along with all twin engine airliners can fly on a single engine for hours. Post edited for correction.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
This is being made into a much bigger deal than it is. The guy freaking out in the video is hilarious. You didn't almost die you moron.

I was at work today (Chicago Approach Control) when this happened and I have a friend who was working at O'Hare tower at the time.

So, the plane blew a tire or tires on takeoff roll and since they weren't at V1 (decide to fly speed for the layman) they aborted takeoff. When a tire blows below V1 the pilots will pull the throttles back to reverse thrust and then apply full brakes. Us being car guys know that brakes generate a lot of heat and large aircraft brakes are no exception. When a tire(s) is blown and full brakes are applied, you typically have more tires blow and then they catch on fire. The fire is only tires burning.

The plane wasn't going to explode. The fuel tanks are fireproof so unless they rupture from debris the fuel wasn't going to start burning. It looks bad because 4 large tires were on fire, lol

If the plane had just passed V1 and was rotating when the tire blew, there would have been no fire because the brake wouldn't have any heat in them. They would have taken off without incident and then gone around and made an emergency landing. The emergency landing might not have even started a fire because they would have had the full runway to stop instead of half or less.

EDIT: Just talked to my buddy again. Apparently they got bad info at first. There was actually an engine failure, and tires blew on braking so both the tires and the engine were on fire. Still not a huge deal. 767s along with all twin engine airliners can fly on a single engine for hours.

I thought I saw a picture where the right wing appeared to have melted and was drooping and touching the ground. Assuming that picture was accurate, that would not have happened in the air, right? I assume the air rushing by the engine wouldn't really allow for the fire to concentrate on the wing like it would on the ground.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
I thought I saw a picture where the right wing appeared to have melted and was drooping and touching the ground. Assuming that picture was accurate, that would not have happened in the air, right? I assume the air rushing my the engine wouldn't really allow for the fire to concentrate on the wing like it would on the ground.

Yes, wouldn't have happened like that in the air. They can stop fuel flow to that engine to put fire out in air typically. Since they were on ground it just kept burning.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
Good christ the guy the camera... :gtfo2::picard:

I realize things are scary but holy shit, sack up and stay calm. The frenzy is why people get hurt and killed, common sense and all else goes right out the window. (yes I know, easy for me to say as someone that does fly quite a bit).

The biggest problem is all of the idiots who try to pull their bags out of the overhead bins. GET OFF THE FUCKING PLANE YOU MORONS.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info