Anyone use K3B to rip/encode

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'm using K3B on Linux to rip/encode DVDs. I want to bump the aggressiveness of it and thread count (it seems to only use 2/6 of my cores.) I'm wondering if anyone has done this before, as transcode doesn't seem to be listed in the external programs you can pass parameters to. Thoughts?

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Never used K3B. Ive used Handbrake to rip and encode. Easy enough.

I'm just trying to eek every bit of performance out of it. The rip seems to be 30ish minutes by its self using dvd::rip with a bit less for encode, so I think I'm going to wind up stuck about where I am unforunately.

In other news, I'm about out of disk space. Maybe this wasn't such a great thing to discover, 500G of mirrored storage lasted me a long time till I started ripping DVDs :rofl:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
While handbrake technically transcodes in most cases they call it encoding.

Handbrake is the gold standard right now.

500 isn't enough at all. You want to have about 4tb.

Check out the 10bit nightly builds of handbrake h265. Very high efficiency. But you'll need more cpu time.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
While handbrake technically transcodes in most cases they call it encoding.

Handbrake is the gold standard right now.

500 isn't enough at all. You want to have about 4tb.

Check out the 10bit nightly builds of handbrake h265. Very high efficiency. But you'll need more cpu time.

Is it clock or core sensitive? I've got a Phenom II 1055T (6 core) and it seems like what I'm using now is built around dual cores.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Just as an FYI, H265 takes about twice as long to encode as H264, but file sizes are on average about 30%-40% smaller, some as much as 50% smaller.

H265 shows much more benefit with 1080p and 4k content. For 480p DVD stuff, it doesn't have too much improvement over H264.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Mr_Roboto
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list