Today's no shit Sherlock study

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
That's why I turn off all that automatic garbage. Modern Operating Systems of all types have taken so much user control away because the users have historically shown that they're too stupid to use them (or learn to) properly. As someone who actually knows what I'm doing, I FUCKING HATE IT.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Warnings used to be more descriptive and more accurate.

The dumbing down of each version of Windows makes the current warnings nearly useless. Plus, they're often wrong in their analysis of a problem.

Anybody want to mention google search accuracy and ease of surfing vs. microsoft help page when researching error codes?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Warnings used to be more descriptive and more accurate.

The dumbing down of each version of Windows makes the current warnings nearly useless. Plus, they're often wrong in their analysis of a problem.

Anybody want to mention google search accuracy and ease of surfing vs. microsoft help page when researching error codes?

Linux back in the day got that part right. For the most part no hex code bullshit but rather an English explanation of what the hell you were doing wrong. Most of the time the computer stuff is common sense.

I think the other part of it is the jaded nature people get. Pop ups don't mean anything any more. If you've ever done admin work on something using self signed SSLs with Java you know what I'm talking about. First you have to click through the SSL warnings, then you have to click through some Java warnings, then you find out your shit isn't on the exceptions list so you have to go add the URL there, then you have to go back and do the warnings all over again. What's worse is you can't turn it off or make it where your browser turns red instead or something.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info