Dam! Aqua Dam

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
A Texas homeowner turned into a bit of a "Noah" during the recent flooding in Texas. Randy Wagner's home sits untouched among thousands of flood damaged homes.

Randy drove to Louisiana and purchased an Aqua Dam, in his case, 400' of 30" tall plastic and rubber designed to be laid out around the home and filled with water. The Aqua Dam then becomes a dam and keeps the water out.

Wagner says at the flood's peak, there were 27" of water surrounding his home.

Neighbors thought he was crazy but you can see from the video that his plan worked to perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7eDVOaNTdM

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I watched a longer video on the topic and the homeowner fortified parts of the dam with sand bags during the initial surges.

$8,300 isn't cheap but, with this being a level of flooding unseen since 1957, many homeowners may not have flood insurance. Damages to a home could be more than $100,000.

Flood insurance starts in the hundreds of dollars and goes up to thousands of dollars per year based on risk. 5 years of no insurance would probably pay for the dam.

Now, the guy has to dry it out, roll it up, and find somewhere to store it. :eek3:

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
I watched a longer video on the topic and the homeowner fortified parts of the dam with sand bags during the initial surges.

$8,300 isn't cheap but, with this being a level of flooding unseen since 1957, many homeowners may not have flood insurance. Damages to a home could be more than $100,000.

Flood insurance starts in the hundreds of dollars and goes up to thousands of dollars per year based on risk. 5 years of no insurance would probably pay for the dam.

Now, the guy has to dry it out, roll it up, and find somewhere to store it. :eek3:

I saw the clip, he has plenty of storage! But again, 8,300 is worth the investment for this. Expecially in places that will flood.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Really you don't think so? So the alternative is I remove one barrier and you now owe 100,000 in damages. You really don't think they would throw him a little bone if he asked?

I'm going to call my insurance and let them know I avoided getting into a 50 car pile up that was on the local news by braking and dodging the accident onto the shoulder. I'll let them know next time I won't brake so hard and be on my phone, you should give me some money.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I'm going to call my insurance and let them know I avoided getting into a 50 car pile up that was on the local news by braking and dodging the accident onto the shoulder. I'll let them know next time I won't brake so hard and be on my phone, you should give me some money.

You are comparing apples to oranges. This appears to be getting a crap ton of attention and can be proved that its saving tons of money via video and working.

If we are going to compare apples to oranges we give goodwill assistance all the time in my line of work to customers. So yes it does happen and its not uncommon.

I am simply saying I would not be shocked if some assistance was given to him for all the work he/she put into that.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
You are comparing apples to oranges. This appears to be getting a crap ton of attention and can be proved that its saving tons of money via video and working.

If we are going to compare apples to oranges we give goodwill assistance all the time in my line of work to customers. So yes it does happen and its not uncommon.

I am simply saying I would not be shocked if some assistance was given to him for all the work he/she put into that.

do you work in insurance? you're making an apples to oranges comparison as well

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Yea actually I do..... I made the apples to oranges comparison because you did as well about avoiding an accident

I'm done derailing this thread. Goodwill crap happens all the time and in this case I would say it's a high possibility as he saved them probably over 100k in losses.

Customer service is huge in insurance and an 8k check won't be noticed and would make the Customer one for life

Source: I'm in the industry.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
What's the procedure for filing for a good will payment?

Call his agent, bring the video and say "Hey, how about you ask the insurance company to pay me half the cost of the dam? You can see what I saved you?"

In this case with as much attention it has gotten someone from the insurance company may reach out to him. Idk who he has or how they work.

But he could call them yes. Not demand but just ask hey I prevented a major loss would you be willing to participate and help with some of the cost of the aqua dam? Worst they could say is no, but I am sure a manager would review it and if they are halfway decent company some help would be sent

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info