Strange experience selling my car

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Backstory I've had 9 cars now so I'm fairly seasoned in buying and selling. Wife and I decided that we no longer needed 2 cars for right now and decided to sell the 200C before Chrysler completely shuts down that assembly line.

Listed the car slightly above book value with NADA values (knew I wouldn't get my ask) but also in my defense this car had like 16,000 miles on it and looked like it could have gone back to a dealership floor.

Long story short, had a guy text me about my car saying he saw it on CL. Just like most peoples experiences I for 1.) thought he probably wasn't very serious and 2.) if he was serious then would show up to check and see if the car really lived up to the pictures/writeup/asking price with a test drive.

well none of part 2 ended up happening. He politely asked me where I got my values (which I linked him to) and then ended up texting me an offer. The offer was less than my ask, but more than the KBB value in "excellent" condition. It was actually what I had hoped I would get in an absolute best case scenario. I said of course when would you like to come see it? He tells me the car is for his son, and he's sending his wife out the next morning with a cashiers check.

At this point I'm fairly skeptical about the situation. Haven't talked to this guy on the phone, no context to his situation for the most part, but wants to buy the car sight unseen? Is this a joke? It must be. I've been had too many times by losers on CL. I tell him sounds good and set a time, and let him know if he has ANY questions please let me know before she comes. As I'm sitting there that night I start to think, either this is a huge hoax, or these people are ridiculously loaded and don't care.

For context the price we agreed on was $21,500 which isn't a small amount for someone to just be like "sounds great, I'll give you a check and whatever."

Sure enough the next morning (last Thursday), wife shows up in a smoking BMW loaded X6 and immediately it all makes sense. She gets out, looks at the car and says "we'll take it." Hands me the check.

Didn't sit in the car, didn't drive it, didn't even turn it on. In fact she didn't even do a walk around. Just looked at it.

So for those out there, yes these kinds of sales exist, and rich people just DGAF. Wife and I are down back to the Lincoln, and life is good haha.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Like Mike says, the way to transfer funds so you are most protected is wiring the money to your bank. If the deal is legit, the buyer should have no problem doing this. Might cost him $25 or so to wire the money. You can always offer to pay the fee. Once the money is wired, it's there. You can use it immediately compared to a check which can turn into trouble if the seller isn't who you think they are. Who knows, they could have hijacked the real account holder's identity.

Very few banks will accept anything other than wired money now for real estate deals. It's the future and a lot safer than checks.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Similar thing happened with my firebird. Listed it for $3,500 forgot all about the cars.com ad...Had some dude call me asking if it was still for sale. Said he'd be there next day to pick it up full asking price. Brought me $3,500 in cash and drove away. Didn't start it, sit in it, nothing. Handed me the cash and drove. :bowdown:

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Wow. I've had pretty easy sales of vehicles in the past, but nothing like that with a complete stranger. I've had the pleasure of unloading a lot of crap to people I already know, so things go super smooth. I would expect at the very least a simple start up and a couple questions. Especially when you're dealing with 20 grand.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Wow. I've had pretty easy sales of vehicles in the past, but nothing like that with a complete stranger. I've had the pleasure of unloading a lot of crap to people I already know, so things go super smooth. I would expect at the very least a simple start up and a couple questions. Especially when you're dealing with 20 grand.

You and me both. I would have at least thought she would have sat in it, looked it over for rips/tears or scuffs in the leather. Checked the bumpers or something. Hell for all she knew the sunroof didn't work or brake lights haha.

ONLY thing she cared about was that this thing was full of safety features like blind spot, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping system, and front and rear collision avoidance. She said her son totaled his last car so this one HAD to be safe haha.

How hot was the lady?!?!

Not as much as I was hoping she would be haha

Sounds like a sweet experience. It would be awesome if selling all cars was that easy.

Yeah I can't say they've all been this graceful. My Grand Prix GXP took 8 months to sell back in 2011 and that was AWFUL.

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
I traded a built foxbody for a g body roller years ago. I spent a good half hour Loki g over the car with the owner right there. I say I'm interested if he is, he says deal. He didn't get within 50' of the car and I trailered it up there so he hadn't even heard it run. Both were worth about 6k.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
giphy.gif

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Im glad it all worked out for ya....

personally, I'd never take a check...cash or wire.

anyone can drive a nice car....con-artist's drive nice cars.

Cashiers checks are basically cash. You have to have the funds for the bank to make the check. As long as you call and confirm with that bank then you're good to cash immediately.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
As I mentioned, most lenders don't accept anything other than wires now-a-days.

Dale is a doofus but he's right about what he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdYkfQS9iMk

In the link below, 4:40 is where the explanation of forged cashier's checks starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ieuBpj6GE

In your case, the car itself could be the value they are stealing. If the check bounces, the car is long gone and you are out the money. I'm not saying this happened. People do crazy stuff. Somebody could bring a check and be on the level. Seniors, especially, are used to dealing in checks instead of modern wiring methods. Hopefully, your customer was on the level and the money stays in your account. You can ask your bank for suggestions on how to proceed if you want to safeguard your account information.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info