Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
He's a Skydiver Working With a Net, But No Parachute | U.S. News | US News

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (AP) — He's made 18,000 parachute jumps, helped train some of the world's most elite skydivers, done some of the stunts for "Ironman 3." But the plunge Luke Aikins knows he'll be remembered for is the one he's making without a parachute. Or a wingsuit.

Or anything, really, other than the clothes he'll be wearing when he jumps out of an airplane at 25,000 feet this weekend, attempting to become the first person to land safely on the ground in a net.

The Fox network will broadcast the two-minute jump live at 8 p.m. EDT (5 p.m. PDT) Saturday as part of an hour-long TV special called "Heaven Sent."

Hopefully this is being played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB3kNJrcoGM

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
seems legit :hsugh:
the wingsuit community has taken some big losses lately. they don't need another

weEbLSu.jpg

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Ummmmmm

Nearby, a pair of huge cranes defines the boundaries where the net in which Aikins expects to land is being erected. It will be about one-third the size of a football field and 20 stories high, providing enough space to cushion his fall, he says, without allowing him to bounce out of it. The landing target, which has been described as similar to a fishing trawler net, has been tested repeatedly using dummies.

One of those 200-pound (91-kilogram) dummies didn't bounce out. It crashed right through.

"That was not a good thing to see," recalled Jimmy Smith, the veteran Hollywood public relations man who, with his partner Bobby Ware, sold Fox on the idea of having someone skydive without a parachute.

FCK THIS

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I don't think there's any chance he misses it. Guys with that much time in freefall are able to move and manipulate themselves with precision. If anything, he's going right through.

No doubts he has the skill to hit the target. But hopefully he can block everything else out. Jumping with the knowledge of always having a parachute is one thing. This is another.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
No doubts he has the skill to hit the target. But hopefully he can block everything else out. Jumping with the knowledge of always having a parachute is one thing. This is another.

That's what the sport is all about though, right? You need to have the mental capability to block out the "what if's" and perform under pressure. Even with a parachute, there is no guarantee that you live regardless of your experience level. But to your point I'm sure he'll be feeling some kind of extra stress with the media/attention. But being an experienced wingsuit base jumper is about as extreme as it gets when it comes to life-or-death situations and performing under pressure.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
That's what the sport is all about though, right? You need to have the mental capability to block out the "what if's" and perform under pressure. Even with a parachute, there is no guarantee that you live regardless of your experience level. But to your point I'm sure he'll be feeling some kind of extra stress with the media/attention. But being an experienced wingsuit base jumper is about as extreme as it gets when it comes to life-or-death situations and performing under pressure.

I do not disagree. And I wish him luck and I will be watching. :jg:

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
I think it was Travis Pastrana who jumped out of a plane without a parachute, right?

The article in the OP makes it sound like he's jumping without one on, which really makes it nuts. Would be more logical to jump with one on just in case and then not pull it if he is able to line up with the net.

Thread Info