Bye Felicia (Comcast). How to Hey Girl: Fiber Internet Edition

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
So in my area they have been doing quite a bit of construction and running of fiber optic lines for new Internet and TV service provider called Metronet. Seeing how Comcast is beginning to push out datacaps and are hit and miss on their speeds I decided to try the new service out. I have tried this sort of thing in the past and have been burned with other "high speed" service providers. Namely ATT Uverse. The internet would drop constantly. This service is so new yet that not much information is out there about the service. I hate Comcast so I'm willing to experiment and see if this service is the shit or just plain shit.

It should be noted that I only use internet. I don't have TV or phone service nor do I want that. I stream everything so to me I just need quality internet.

Below is a comparison on the same computer using a wired connection.

Comcast
-Pro's:
  • Hit and miss speed but consistent for most part
  • Pricey for internet only(higher package)
  • Well documented resources online and hardware testimonials.

-Con's:
  • It's Comcast
  • Data caps are now rolling out and I'm a heavy user.
  • Pricey for slow speeds

Metronet
-Pro's:
  • Fast speed.
  • Reliable service (it's only been 2 weeks but smooth)
  • Dedicated speeds unlike Cable
  • No issues with streaming or service drops that I have seen on multiple devices simultaneously
  • Costs are $20 cheaper than the Comcast internet only package I had.

-Con's:
  • Lack of information and technical resources
  • Built In Wireless SUCKS!!!! <-More on this point later
  • Online Account portal is very basic

Metronets biggest con I have is their built in wireless. They give you a modem/router combo unit with fiber port which is ran straight from the small Pop facility in the neighbors back yard. The problem with the wireless is that it drops connectivity all the time. It's not usable for the most part. It is disappointing but I have a simple solution to that. My existing Asus wireless router which has always worked flawlessly will allow it to be in Access Point Mode where I can run a cable from the Metronet box into one of the 4 network ports on the Asus Wireless Router. Turned it on and set the setting in the config menu and it works perfectly. This is now a non issue for me but I can see where people are going to be very unhappy with Metronet. Most everyone uses wireless devices as their primary connection preference and the hardware does a bad job of handling those connections.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
just wish i could get ATT gigapower.... verizon Fios... or Metronet..

hell ANYTHING fiber. booo hisss

Nothing available to me either. 80 fucking dollars for 75mb package from Comcrap. Can't wait until fiber gets country wide and gigabit speeds become available for cheaper than this cable garbage.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I have WOW and really can't complain. It's been very consistent and I rarely have service issues. This thread actually made me check their site, and I may upgrade my modem(Still on Docsis 2) and go with their 110 or 300 mbps service. Right now I get 15 down and 2-2.5 up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info