Shout outs to the Joliet PD

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Lets go back in time a bit, to about last night. I'm doing brakes on my XC90 and accidentally left my phone on the hood. Figure out it's lost, toil over it a bit, track it to a house (within about 30 minutes of its loss) and call it a night.

Fast forward to today, after work I am determined to get it back. Wifey calls the non emergency number and they tell me to come down to do a report. As it turns out after going to the station and talking with them I don't need a report provided I just want the phone back.

Get out to where the phone is located (it moved to the other side of town.) Call up non emergency line, have a car sent out. After they show up, I tell em what's happening show them my phone tracker (btw there's an iphone tracker app for Android) and that it's in the house and that she's shut it off when I've rang it but turned it back on. They knock on the door for a good 5 minutes then the mom answers.

Police talk with her a bit, she gets her daughter and a few minutes later they walk back and hand me my phone. I've called it probably 50 times and hit the locate beacon several times as well. My wife found out it was answerable and it has been locked out due to invalid tries of combinations. Screen is beat to shit from flying off a car, but I think I'll be able to get it fixed.

To conclude I'd like to thank the folks at the Joliet PD who helped me out. You rock, and I certainly appreciate the help. Definitely above and beyond in my opinion.

Also, don't be a dick and if you find a phone for fucks sake pick it up and return it. Someone's gonna track your happy ass down if you don't.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I hope she whoops her daughters ass

For finding a phone on the street and taking it home?

It's not like she broke into his car and stole it for christ's sake, she found it on the street.

Now if she lied to her mom and said she didn't have it and had no idea what they were talking about and then they found it by all means whoop that ass.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
So wait, did you drive away with the phone just sitting on the hood and this kid found the phone on the street?

Pretty sure she didn't find it some other kid did. I had the locator on and it was at another house for the better part of a day before it went to a park then it went to this house. I'm pretty sure she was trying to get into it as it was locked out for login failures. The screen pretty road rashed from flying off the hood at about 30 mph but my wife confirmed it could be picked up.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Never said she didn't know what she was doing....

I still don't think I'd whoop my kids ass (if I had one) for picking up a phone off the street and bringing it home. If the kid broke into the guys car and stole it? Absolutely an ass whooping. If the kid lied to me saying they didn't have it when he and the police showed up? Absolutely an ass whooping.

I dunno, it's probably just me, but seeing she should've gotten her ass whooped or someone saying she likely only got a slap on the wrist from the PD is a little nuts. She didn't steal anything, why would she get even a slap on the wrist from the police?

Do we even know how old the kid is? If it's a kid in elementary school just excited to have found a damn iPhone isn't that completely different than say an 18 year old?

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Never said she didn't know what she was doing....

I still don't think I'd whoop my kids ass (if I had one) for picking up a phone off the street and bringing it home. If the kid broke into the guys car and stole it? Absolutely an ass whooping. If the kid lied to me saying they didn't have it when he and the police showed up? Absolutely an ass whooping.

I dunno, it's probably just me, but seeing she should've gotten her ass whooped or someone saying she likely only got a slap on the wrist from the PD is a little nuts. She didn't steal anything, why would she get even a slap on the wrist from the police?

Do we even know how old the kid is? If it's a kid in elementary school just excited to have found a damn iPhone isn't that completely different than say an 18 year old?

Teenager. As said considering I was ringing it and it was capable of being answered someone should have answered it. She shut it off at some point which means she knew someone was looking for it.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Or she could have been resetting it to see if she could try to unlock it again....

I'm just saying that the thing was found by someone, brought to a park by someone, might have been given to her or left there and she found it, etc... I don't think I would whoop my kids ass (again if I had one) unless they lied to me or the police about having it.

Glad you got it back at least.

I use my phone as my wallet just for this reason. I know some people will say "well then they would've had all your information" which is true, but I also would have been able to track where it was at. If you left your wallet on the car and it was found by some kids there's no chance you're getting that back IMO.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Or she could have been resetting it to see if she could try to unlock it again....

I'm just saying that the thing was found by someone, brought to a park by someone, might have been given to her or left there and she found it, etc... I don't think I would whoop my kids ass (again if I had one) unless they lied to me or the police about having it.

Glad you got it back at least.

I use my phone as my wallet just for this reason. I know some people will say "well then they would've had all your information" which is true, but I also would have been able to track where it was at. If you left your wallet on the car and it was found by some kids there's no chance you're getting that back IMO.

I could have pressed it if I wanted to, but honestly I don't care since I got my property back. I will say if someone was trying to call a phone or paging it I'd whoop my kids ass if he didn't turn it in to someone if only because it's of very questionable integrity and character.

I've found a phone before in my neighborhood and when the guy called it I picked it up. He had his property back in less than 30 minutes. I would expect the same of my son.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info