Must have technology in your house?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Nest ftw. Love mine. Ive got an Amazon Echo / Alexa and its not exactly useful but I do use it. Mostly for automated lights and listening to music.

How does that bitch work with lights? Special wall switch?

That garage door opener is DOPE AF. If I ever buy anything again, I'll definitely want to upgrade to it.

Ha I knew someone would love it. I'm hoping it's as quiet as they say

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Can't live without my hue lights. Also a huge fan of my ring doorbell. I love my nest t-stat so much I also got their smoke detectors. Have an Amazon echo but barely use it- for me that's a pass.

My next purchase will likely be a connected garage door opener. I've only lived here a few months and I can't tell you how many times I got into a nervous sweat at work not remembering if the garage door closed all the way.

Don't know what kind of phone you have but iOS 10 is featuring a "home" app and widget that'll let you control everything from one place without needing to go into each individual app even though everything is different brands.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I use an ecobee (get 100 dollar rebate from nicor and 20 dollar from comed) and amazon echo along with automated lights/front door lock through a vera lite home controller.. but these are all wants not needs.

I really want the new liftmaster garage doors as I currently have loud af chain drive ones right below my office.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I have wifi connected recessed lighting in my living room and kitchen. It's connected to a hub (Wink Hub). I also have a Vivint security system that came with a wifi doorbell (w/camera), 7" panel, sensors, wifi t-stat, and deadbolt (connected to the security system as well). I control everything through Amazon Echo. I tell Alexa to arm alarm and it does. I tell it to turn on movie night and everything within that group turns on (or off). If I'm cold, I tell Alexa to turn up the temperature or turn it down.

If you want a clean look for your entertainment area, do a pipe chase from your main living room (or theater room, game room, ect) and have all cables hidden in wall to where your receiver will be.

Another good thing to do is get LED lights/bulbs. Less electricity used, lasts long, and just overall better IMO.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Ecobee3 T-stat with 3 room sensors
Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener
Various z-wave light switches and light bulbs
Door/windows sensors
Wink hub
Amazon Echo
Roku 3s on the TVs (a couple older Chromecasts too)

I can control everything with the Wink hub (mobile app) or voice with Amazon Echo.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Does the wink hub just allow you to interface these things with your phone ?

I want to know more about the iOS home app since I have an iPhone

So to use smart locks/lights/ other connected devices that don't directly hook up to the internet you need a gateway. The gateway talks to Z-wave/zigbee devices over their mesh network and then allows your phone/computer to talk to them.

Hue light -> Wink Hub -> Local Network -> Phone connected to wireless.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
If I didn't have a divergent amount of hobbies that pull my fiscal interests everywhere I'd have a nice NAS (in reality probably a cluster of them which replicate.) Probably a RAID6 with 6 or 8TB spinny disks fully mirrored to one another.

ED:If I was building a house I'd probably have 10G capable copper run all over the place.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info