complete 8.8 for f body

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
It would be good if a company like strange offered a housing just because the 8.8 has more gear ratios then any other rear. There are a million posi units available too from frpp to wavetracs. The biggest down fall to the budget 8.8 offered by TNT is it still uses 10 bolt axle tubes so you can't use c-clip elims. Also the torque arm mount is welded on to a cast iron housing. I'm not sure how that will hold up over time. TNT started offering 8.8's with big 9" ford ends but they are just as much as a 9" housing and still have the welded TA mount. If Strange offered a bolt-in 8.8 housing with TA provisions like their 12 bolt I would be interested. Other wise I'll just buy a 12 bolt. Fuck hawks.

It would be good if a company like strange offered a housing just because the 8.8 has more gear ratios then any other rear. There are a million posi units available too from frpp to wavetracs. The biggest down fall to the budget 8.8 offered by TNT is it still uses 10 bolt axle tubes so you can't use c-clip elims. Also the torque arm mount is welded on to a cast iron housing. I'm not sure how that will hold up over time. TNT started offering 8.8's with big 9" ford ends but they are just as much as a 9" housing and still have the welded TA mount. If Strange offered a bolt-in 8.8 housing with TA provisions like their 12 bolt I would be interested. Other wise I'll just buy a 12 bolt. Fuck hawks.

if you could send me a link to it I would love to look at it

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Honestly if it was priced like Hawks at 2K no way. I'd rather get an 8.5, 12 bolt, D44 or 9" for a few bucks more or even less possibly. Those housings posted above are about $1Kish which leaves a LOT of head room to get a third member. I thought they made bolt on tq arm mounts at some point for other axles, although it would likely be fine I'd still be leery of trusting a torque arm mount welded to cast iron.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Unless you plan to run 800-1000hp on the track every weekend, 9" is over kill. 12 bolt or GTFO.

Why not go overkill so you know its solid? This way down the road if you decide to throw some serious power at the car you dont have to worry about spending thousands over again on a rear end.

That and if you compare a new 12 bolt price to a new 9 inch price they are pretty damn close, the 12 bolt actually could be more depending on what diff you decide to go with.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I wouldn't mind a 12 bolt only problem is price.... for me personally I am not going to spend 2900 dollars on a new 12 bolt. I just dunno if I can stomach that. For some reason they have shot up in price.

If you know of one for a great deal I am all ears

Robbing power is not a concern for me, one can always turn up the nitrous or boost.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
A 12 bolt fits my needs. It's also is lighter, takes a lot less power to spin and fits under the car with much better clearence. I'm going with a spool so it will be cheaper.
not by much though. im pretty sure i could do a posi one for like 2700, i think the spool is just 2 or 300 cheaper.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info