Nutrition rant

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
I've got to a point in losing weight and working out where I look good/feel good but need to get serious about nutrition if I want to lose these last 15lbs.

I've barely scratched the surface on learning about what to eat and it's already a cluster fuck. Articles contradicting eachother, blatant product pushing etc.

Today I wanted to grab a snack so I stopped at a gas station. *yea, red flag already* I walk past the candy bars and get to the "healthy" rack. These are basically candy bars with more protein. Cliff, MetRX, building bar, and all the others were complete garbage for you. 32g of protein proudly displayed in yellow bold font on the front but turn it over......350 calories, 45 grams of fat, 50+ carbs....complete shit.

They all had one thing in common too, you had to move the flap to read their nutritional info. I wonder why.

Ended up walking over to the jerky section, 110 calories , 2g of fat and 23g of protein. But a shitload of sodium which raises your blood pressure but I figured I'd drink 2 bottles of water to hopefully offset that. :rofl:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Is there a question in this anywhere? Best thing you can do is spread out your meals consuming smaller categories, avoid carbs and sugars if possible, drop sodas entirely, stay away from processed foods, make sure you're taking in all the nutrients you need or take a suppliment and drink shit tons of water.

Those last 15# are a real SOB.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
A well balanced diet, free of processed sugar and most simple carbohydrates, get your monounsaturated fats, and obviously stay away from the saturated fats.

To me, a healthy well-balanced diet is better than a diet that is designed to lose weight and cut essential items out. Maintaining good portion control, eating a balanced diet, and exercising regularly is the best way to get healthy and maintain your "ideal" body type/weight. That's not going to fly with some of the people here what they are all about, but that's just my $.02 from what I've learned over the years.

My best advice to finding healthy foods, is to stay away from product sponsored sites, and try and find actual scientific peer reviewed journal articles. That's going to give you the most reliable information.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I'm down 30 pounds since March 8th. Just doing the low-carb thing and some basic exercise(Walking downtown and hitting swallow cliff 2ish times per week).

It's amazing how much shit has high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar in it when you start paying attention to that shit. The only things I can buy at 7-11 is water, beef jerky, and string cheese.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'm using a phone app to track my calorie intake. I've been losing about 2lbs/wk with little additional extra. A big part of that was laying off soda and the majority of processed sugar anything as well as eating out less. It stacks the calories up like crazy. You tend to be a lot more careful of what you eat when logging it!

I walk into a gas station going "I want this or that" and am like :nope: in the end because it's all 400ish calories. I tend not to go into gas stations like when I was drinking soda because there's little reason to unless I need a bath room.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
I fucking hate eating healthy. Luckily with my metabolism if I am somewhat active I stay in decent shape. Been back to the gym before work for about 4 weeks now going 4 days a week and it feels great. Looking forward to starting to ride the bike to Lifetime and then to work once it gets nice and getting the last few lbs around the waist to muscle in time for boating season. Been like 5 years since i wasnt a soft slob. lol

LiquidPen

Forum Sponsor
Jun 23, 2011
Bartlett, IL
Was reading this am saw an article about a new item at BK. Look at that sodium count! As far as nutitional info I have none cept eat fruits? Do a lot of research on what your buying.. Ive been drinking a lot of la croix water recently.. No sweeteners, sodium, etc.. its better when you get sick of plain water.

Nutritional Info - Burger King Egg-Normous Breakfast Burrito (310g)
Calories - 810 (from Fat - 470)
Fat - 52g (Saturated Fat - 19g)
Sodium - 2110mg
Carbs - 51g (Sugar - 3g)
Protein - 32g

Z

ZenAgain

I have lived close to the last 30 years 'on the road'.

If I get all my meals I eat 15 meals a week at restaurants. This sh!t WILL kill you.

I had an Aunt who was a traveling employee of 40+ years with United airlines. Best advice I ever got for nutrition - It is easier to deny yourself food than to work off the bullsh!t pounds gained by eating crap.
It is OK to feel hungry. Get used to it. If you are not losing weight in massive quantities then a little hunger pang is not only ok, it is PROPER,

'Skip a meal fatty'. That is the best advice I ever got.

I have grown used to hunger pangs and I also run 25# lighter (180 vs 205) than I used to. If you don't WANT to stop eating, I understand.
Two worst foods in my experiences are french fries and any drink with any form of corn syrup in it. Just dropping these two foods with not working out yeilded a 20 pound drop in one year for me.

Sometimes it is not so much what you do. it is what you DON'T do.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I have lived close to the last 30 years 'on the road'.

If I get all my meals I eat 15 meals a week at restaurants. This sh!t WILL kill you.

I had an Aunt who was a traveling employee of 40+ years with United airlines. Best advice I ever got for nutrition - It is easier to deny yourself food than to work off the bullsh!t pounds gained by eating crap.
It is OK to feel hungry. Get used to it. If you are not losing weight in massive quantities then a little hunger pang is not only ok, it is PROPER,

'Skip a meal fatty'. That is the best advice I ever got.

I have grown used to hunger pangs and I also run 25# lighter (180 vs 205) than I used to. If you don't WANT to stop eating, I understand.
Two worst foods in my experiences are french fries and any drink with any form of corn syrup in it. Just dropping these two foods with not working out yeilded a 20 pound drop in one year for me.

Sometimes it is not so much what you do. it is what you DON'T do.

[MENTION=5428]zenriddles[/MENTION]

I lifted your ban.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info