Chain o lakes bros step inside

BigJohnson

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2013
Ok so a group of us did Vegas for a buddies bachelor party. Some people obviously couldn't make it. So the weekend before the wedding the guys who couldn't go want to do something for our friend. None of us have ever done blarney island. So we were thinking about heading there Memorial Day weekend.

It will be a little something different as opposed to the normal bars. But before we go I want to know is it worth the trip. It's only about an hour away so no biggie. But is it a good time? Will the lake be crowded with people partying? Is a boat necessary? I know we can take the ferry there but is a boat a better idea? Lastly any good places to go to later at night after the lake dies down. Any advice is appreciated.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
Memorial Day wknd is the kick off to the boating season on the chain so I would expect it to be pretty busy (weather dependent) you don't need a boat, as you can take the Port of Blarney shuttle boat back and forth but yea a boat is always a better time. If you all plan on drinking I wouldn't boat as the Sheriff Dept is pretty tough on drinking and boating. I haven't seen what changes have been made at Blarney's. Captains Quarters is always a good time.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ok so a group of us did Vegas for a buddies bachelor party. Some people obviously couldn't make it. So the weekend before the wedding the guys who couldn't go want to do something for our friend. None of us have ever done blarney island. So we were thinking about heading there Memorial Day weekend.

It will be a little something different as opposed to the normal bars. But before we go I want to know is it worth the trip. It's only about an hour away so no biggie. But is it a good time? Will the lake be crowded with people partying? Is a boat necessary? I know we can take the ferry there but is a boat a better idea? Lastly any good places to go to later at night after the lake dies down. Any advice is appreciated.

will reply in a few

:fy:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
personally, blarneys isn't my favorite... I've been there maybe a handful of times in my twenty something years of boating on the chain.

i helped with two "local" bachelor party's where we all went and did something before (one of them we went to K1 speed, then Lou Malnati's, then got up here... the other, alrington horse track, tracks in cary for food, then got up here...)

what we did for those two, was went on the previous (sober-ish) events, then got up to the chain area... we rented the party boat that leaves snuggery or freddies for 3-4 hours each time (can't remember exactly) and it was around $30 a person or so if i remember right... BYOB. you can have them setup with a drink package and a bartender but i know how to pour rum, whiskey, and vodka with the best of them.... so quite a few handles, a bunch of cases of beers on roll on coolers and we were good to go.

we met at the snuggery around 5pm, and had the boat scheduled to leave around 6:30pm iirc... i think i also told everyone boat was leaving at 6pm to make sure everyone got there in time. then from there we left snuggery and boated up the river, around pistakee and meyers bay, and then to freddies... had a few drinks at freddies, hopped back on the boat and hit up cabana's for more beverages... got back on the boat and headed back down river to snuggery to continue the debauchery.

if i were you... and with you guys not being from the area, id want to stay up here or get a bus/limo/van/ride back to wherever everyone's from.

i mean you could get start and finish at snuggery and stay at the hampton inn in mchenry and just get a taxi back to there when you want.

orrrrr... do it this way.

have everyone meet at freddies at 5pm or whenever and eat some dinner (freddies is REALLY easy for groups to eat at because you get your own food yourself... waitresses don't bring it to you), have the boat leave from there at 630-7pm, cruise around, hit up snuggery down river for a drink or three then head back north... hit the wave in johnsburg or china bar for another beverage or two and a decent atmosphere, if time allows, hit cabana's as well and continue on your cruise... then wind up back at freddies which is open until 2am for your drunken debauchery to continue.

link to that boat:

Rockin The Chain - Party Boat Cruises On the Chain O'Lakes & Fox River

rummRunner.jpg

you can of course do the blarney's shuttle, but then you're restricted to going to blarneys... from port of blarney... maybe they will have a good band that night and maybe not.... additionally once you get back to port o blarney, you're kind of in no-mands-land even moreso than most places up here, as another near bar, restaurant, or hotel, aren't really all that close.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I like KJ's idea of a party boat and know a few people who have done that before. But being Memorial day weekend I would make a guess that those party boats have been booked for a while now. Might want to pick another weekend or go during the week.

Blarneys to me is a bunch of old people and bro diesel douchebags who do not have boats. The place is extreamly crowded, drinks are expensive, docking sucks, bathrooms are gross, and food is nothing special. I useually only go about once a season if I am with some people who have never been on the island.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I like KJ's idea of a party boat and know a few people who have done that before. But being Memorial day weekend I would make a guess that those party boats have been booked for a while now. Might want to pick another weekend or go during the week.

Blarneys to me is a bunch of old people and bro diesel douchebags who do not have boats. The place is extreamly crowded, drinks are expensive, docking sucks, bathrooms are gross, and food is nothing special. I useually only go about once a season if I am with some people who have never been on the island.

i bet not, people are lazy.. memorial day is over a month and a half away... i bet it's available... just call soon

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info