TSA and the "Randomizer"

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Next time you go to the airport, the TSA may direct you to the right or left using an iPad app which randomly displays a giant arrow pointing—you guessed it!—right or left.

Now, to be fair, that $1.4 million total may well include the purchase price of the physical iPads or perhaps the cost of getting the app to work on other, non-iPad devices. But still, the iPad app alone cost about $336,000, which is a really hefty price tag for big arrows.

Here’s a video of this breakthrough technology in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_KmFJ2gGzw

http://rare.us/story/the-tsa-spent-1-4-million-on-an-ipad-app-that-randomly-points-left-or-right/

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Before I got priority on southwest I felt like they were doing the Ipad thing for at least a couple years when you would walk towards the person directing people left or right to TSA-pre or regular

now I don't bother and I still haven't got TSA-pre despite flying almost every week... some of the airports don't offer it or the pre is closed if it is late at night which is when I try to fly

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
Also looks like a great waste of money

Exactly.

Last count there are 503 airports in the US that serve commercial. (for the sake of math we will count 500)

Assuming its 18 hours a day that these people do this job, and assuming that they get paid some sort of minimal or moderate wage. ($15/hr it is the government lol)

Thats $135,000 per day / $49,275,000 per year :picard:

Gotta love that government spending

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
I see that shit all the time. Airports with multiple lines to one security person. It keeps the lines equal so one doesn't go faster than another. Instead of the person saying you go here, now you go here, they have this. Literally they tap the screen and the arrow points left, then right, then left and so on.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I got precheck randomly once, talk about VIP lol

it's stupid to do this, because the line moves shitty because no one knows what to do. taking shoes off, and coats, and laptops etc. i don't fault people for not knowing how it works or anything, but it's stupid to just randomly assign people to it and make it as slow as a regular line.

when i was traveling for work frequently, like 2-3 times a month, i would hardly ever get it... then my bosses son would occasionally go with us, and little 13 year old dude got it every time he flew. :rofl:

there are a couple cards with high annual fees you can claw back money from, and one is $100 for GOES (which gives you the quick global re-entry plus tsa precheck) - i got mine with an amex platinum charge card.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info