Build or Buy a Shed?

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
If you can build, do it.

I spent about $500 less overall than the 10'x12' (10x12 is the largest you can build in Streamwood) TUFFSHED on mine and it has a thick concrete floor with a ramp, taller walls, matching vinyl siding instead of painted wood, nice custom doors, etc...

ShedRebuild.jpg

10'x12' footprint, 8' walls, etc... All in I was just over $3,000 and the equivalent Tuffshed with lower walls but had a window and just a metal and OSB floor was $3500.

I was just happier to have better materials used and end up at the same cost. If you don't need the shed to be built to hold a ton of stuff you could always just make a paver base and use one of those rubbermaid ones. My older brother got one for his yard and it holds their bikes and mowers just fine for under a grand...

It's all in what you want done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yaj Yak

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Will be watching this as I want to build a 10x12 or 10x14 soon to get all the of the non car stuff out of my garage.

Exactly why I built mine... LOL

Mine was an old pre-fab barn style shed that was more a house for spiders than my stuff. The new one is a ton more secure, insulated, doors seal better so the elements are out, etc...

This was right after I went to town with a sawzall....

OldShedTeardown.jpg
0fe3fa85e683e28d12e008afe65904ff_zps4a6x7q0z.jpg

Last edited:

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Exactly why I built mine... LOL

Mine was an old pre-fab barn style shed that was more a house for spiders than my stuff. The new one is a ton more secure, insulated, doors seal better so the elements are out, etc...

This was right after I went to town with a sawzall....

0fe3fa85e683e28d12e008afe65904ff_zps4a6x7q0z.jpg

Mine is exactly the same, but mine is much depper (thats what she said_)

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Any body have any suggestions for moving a shed? Its roughly 20x10 that is on a wood platform. However right next to the shed is a concrete pad the exact same size (seriously WTF). So I want to move it over...

Lift one side up with a bobcat a few inches, get some pipes under it and roll it, keep adding or moving pipes so it rolls easily.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I got pans for my shed online, it was for a 12'x20' shop that I just cut in half since the largest I could go here in Streamwood is 12x10.

If anyone wants a copy send me a PM and I can email you the .pdf for it. Comes with a complete list of parts, even has the angles for the birds mouth on the rafters and everything.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I mean I am all for heavy equipment, but wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a new shed at that point? How much does it cost to rent a bobcat?

Empty shed.

Use a 2-3 jacks to get one side up in the air and buy (rent) some pipes.

Place pipes underneath, now jack up the other side and finish placing pipes under.

Get some friends and start pushing.

Reverse process to remove pipes.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Yeah I think will try it, if the fucker falls oh well lol!

I rented a skid steer with extra long forks, moved my 8x10 shed no problem. Think it only cost me around $200 I borrowed the trailer though to save in cost. I had to move my shed around 30 ft to fit my pool. The skid steer did a number on my lawn though even with the tracks instead of wheels.

As for anyone thinking of building your own vs buying the kit, if you know carpentry or framing you can build a better quality shed for the same price of these kits. After building both a pre made kit and a DIY I am much happier with the DIY build (sucks it's not mine but for my dad's house)

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yaj Yak Yaj Yak

I can try to dig up the plans I had for the shed that I bought, Like I said theyre for a 12'x20' shop, I just cut them in half to make my shed 12'x10'

im going to rattle my builder's cage today and see what his timeline/plan is. if he's not getting moving on it soon ill let you know and that way i can see your plans and get a move on

Reactions: FESTER665
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info