Computer Issues

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Our home computer has been just shutting down on its own lately (last 2 weeks)
Sometimes it happens in as little as 10-15 minutes, other times it could be a couple of hours before it happens. When it shuts down, I try and power it back up, sometimes it works, other times it just shuts back down immediately. We use it just for web surfing, pics, email, and music, no games at all. Probably gets used 8-10hrs a week. Computer is a Dell and is probably 5-6 years old and I'm running Windows 10. Wife has a shit ton of pics she is worried about losing.
Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Clean the PC. Probably full of dust.

Get an external drive and backup your pictures! NOW! LIKE STOP READING THIS AND START COPYING SHIT.

But you most likely won't lose them if it did die because it doesn't sound like a hard drive failure. Its either dirty and shutting down due to heat or a component is starting to fail (power supply or motherboard most likely)

When you clean it, look for blown/swollen capacitors on the motherboard...it'll be obvious...looks like this (left blown, right swollen. Normal is flat top) this will give you a clue if the motherboard is dieing.

Nichicon_2200uF_6.3V_swollen_leaking_capacitors_Compaq_year_2001_motherboard.jpg

Good luck and BACKUP YOUR PRICELESS SHIT!!!! TWICE!

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Backed up pics and cleaned, seems to be okay after a couple of hours. I'm assuming the power supply is the small box thing where the power plug goes? If so what does something like that cost and is it universal or brand specific?
Universal. Buy one at micro center or Fry's electronics. Its usually just a few plugs and 4 screws on the back. Get one that is the same wattage or more just not less.

Double check plugs before powering up and that's it. Usually they cost anywhere from $20+ based on wattage and features. You'll probably not need more then 500w so it'll be less then $60 for sure

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Open the computer up and do a good cleaning with some compressed air. Definitely back some stuff up. You can even log into some cloud storage service (Microsoft one drive, Google drive, Evernote, ect) and upload some pics to it and just download it from and onto another computer. This is, of course, your computer doesn't shut down in the process of uploading everything. It's best to get an external and use that as backup. Even if only a decent sized flash drive.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Universal. Buy one at micro center or Fry's electronics. Its usually just a few plugs and 4 screws on the back. Get one that is the same wattage or more just not less.

Double check plugs before powering up and that's it. Usually they cost anywhere from $20+ based on wattage and features. You'll probably not need more then 500w so it'll be less then $60 for sure

Not all are universal.

Dell and HP for many years used the standard ATX connector, but the pin-out was different.

If its a Dell or HP, you need to get the one for your computer to be sure. Unless you are entirely comfortable with researching and re-pinning the PSU. Also, many of the desktop and small form factor PC's use custom PSU cases and pinouts.

If it a no-name beige box then its likely a standard ATX style PSU. Even then, there are variations in whats offered depending on how old the PSU is.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Idk I've never came across a different connector in the 100+ dell/HP's I've ripped apart. Maybe in the distant past. The only difference I've found is PSU sizes due to smaller cases

Re-read it. Dell has used the standard ATX 24 pin connector, but the pin-out is different.

HP is different on just about every model except the towers, and even then the pin-outs were also different.

10 seconds with google and you'll find dozens of threads about the non-standard pin-outs.

But the basic truth is, if you have a Dell, or HP small form factor PC, you are guaranteed a non-atx proprietary power supply.

Example.

Bog standard ATX power supply.
A406-1087-main.jpg

A Optiplex 3020 power supply that is used in the small form factor units which a ton of people buy.
Genuine-255W-Computer-Power-Supply-T4GWM-0T4GWM-For-Dell-Optiplex-3020-7020-9020-SFF-Precision-T1700.jpg

HP DC7900 power supply.
GENUINE-240W-SFF-POWER-SUPPLY-for-HP-DC7900-DC5800-460974-001.jpg

Its not so far fetched to think that other vendors do the same thing. So without knowing what the OP actually has, you can't say with 100% certainty an ATX PSU will work.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Idk I've never came across a different connector in the 100+ dell/HP's I've ripped apart. Maybe in the distant past. The only difference I've found is PSU sizes due to smaller cases

they look the same and bolt in the same, but the pins could be arranged differently, making you have to buy a dell replacement.
i've got a dell that i use as a media center, and the +/- 12 volt pins are flipped on the atx connector. so if i were to plug a generic PSU in (without changing the pinout), RIP everything.

i'm not sure if they do this for all their shit, but i'd do my homework before changing the power supply out.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Mine looks like the 1st pic. Well if I have anymore issues I will just pull it out and take it to the store with me and match it up. Mine is a Dell desktop

Google your model's power supply looking for the ATX pin-out.

If its not right you could fry the whole system.

Or you can just look for a refurb replacement unit. We do it all the time at work. Get the part number of the power supply and look for replacements. I usually buy from parts-people.com.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info