Ditching Xfinity Comcast Modem/Router for Faster Speeds

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
My plan was to replace the Xfinity router/modem combo with a combo Netgear router/modem to save $10 a month on equipment charges. The Netgear N600 C3700 I bought was on sale, but did not deliver the full 90 mbps that the Xfinity-sourced one did, which is extremely disappointing considering the C3700 is green lit by Xfinity in its approved list of devices, though with only one of the three stars - dicks. Plus the range was shit and wouldn't even provide a strong enough signal to get wi-fi in the kitchen so I can jam to Taylor Swift while making kale smoothies.

Reading through a few forums, apparently Xfinity hasn't released an updated firmware to unlock this modem's full speeds; Netgear somehow doesn't control the release of updates to this modem/router.

As a result, I was stuck at a shaky, inconsistent 50 mbps download. I ended up with a Zoom docsis 3.0 cable modem 5341 and TP-Link AC1900 to unlock faster, more consistent speeds than I ever saw with the Xfinity modem, and 4K streaming video loads insanely fast, plus range has increased hugely.

I picked up recommendations on the above hardware from posts on the forum and couldn't be happier, so thanks, TCG techies, for voicing your expertise.

Here's the hardware that worked for me.

Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 5341J - $49.99
Amazon.com: Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 5341J: Computers & Accessories

TP-LINK AC1900 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router (Archer C9) - $121.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PDLRHFW/?tag=tcg21-20

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
When I did have cable internet, I had the Motorola Surfboard (docsis 3.0), and at first used the Linksys AC1900. Then I upgraded the router to an even better DLink 3200ac (iirc).

That was until I ditched cable Internet all together for AT&T gigapower. Now I have to use their residential gateway (modem/router combo) but will also add my DLink router to have better wifi range.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
What blows my mind is people still pay for their AOL account

LOL...that was my parents until like 4 or 5 years ago. My mom had no concept of how it was possible to receive email without AOL. I kept telling them to cancel, and her response was "but then we can't email anymore."

I finally just made them gmail accounts, taught them how to use it, and they were blown away.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Any update to this as far as newer and better equipment? BTW, I have phone and internet, not sure if that makes a difference. I want to rid myself of the $10 monthly charge from Xfinity as well.

Phone service does limit what devices you can purchase. My in-laws have phone and internet and I shopped around and couldn't find jack at reasonable prices except for the Xfinity dual band that was installed by Xfinity as their rental. It performs well, and I think they ended up buying that one and ditching their rental.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
OP - Was your decision solely based on saving $10 a month?

Trying to wrap my head around spending $170+ to save $10 a month. That will take you almost a year and a half to break even.

For a while, when we had the 105 plan, we were getting consistent 90-95 mbps. I bought a $90 motorola router/modem to get rid of the $10 service fee, and only saw a small increase of maybe 2-3 mbps. After we got a new modem per the X1 deal, speeds are always 120+mbps.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

Trying to wrap my head around spending $170+ to save $10 a month. That will take you almost a year and a half to break even.

For a while, when we had the 105 plan, we were getting consistent 90-95 mbps. I bought a $90 motorola router/modem to get rid of the $10 service fee, and only saw a small increase of maybe 2-3 mbps. After we got a new modem per the X1 deal, speeds are always 120+mbps.

You're right. A year and a half is way too long. The internet probably won't be around then.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Just saying is all.

If you prefer to wait that long to try and break even, only to have the service fixed on it's own or maybe calling Crapcast to fix it, suit yourself.

If 5-10 mbps matters that much, by all means, go for it.

Yeah but paying 10 dollars a month for 10 years = 1200 bucks

Where as I have paid 100 bucks for 2 cable modems and 250 bucks for 2 wifi routers in that time.

350 vs 1200 dollars. I will take the 350 dollars.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I don't understand why saving money over the long haul versus short term makes a difference. Dollars is dollars. I plan to purchase internet for the foreseeable future, and outside of this modem or router shitting the bed (they're going strong for a year now) then I'm saving money. Plus like the title suggests, I was going for faster speeds, which I achieved according to speed testers, and increased range in the house.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Yeah but paying 10 dollars a month for 10 years = 1200 bucks

Where as I have paid 100 bucks for 2 cable modems and 250 bucks for 2 wifi routers in that time.

350 vs 1200 dollars. I will take the 350 dollars.

That makes sense, but, I think it is a bit extreme for this situation.

Bru was getting inconsistent speeds through the comcast modem/router. Not sure if he tried, but, his post didn't specify if he called to get a new modem, etc.

Instead, he spends $170 on a new one to try and get consistent speeds.

We had that problem with comcast as I mentioned before. It took a couple of phone calls, but, at the end, I returned a near $100 modem/router, spent teh $10 a month and received better/faster service. The older generation modems/routers from comcast suck. The newer ones made by Arris IIRC, are pretty decent and reliable. Our modem/router is less than a year old and is consistent and reliable. Not to mention, each time you buy a new one, you have to call comcast to activate it. The time we did that, it took us just under an hour. Also, if there are problems, comcast won't provide tech support, you're on your own if you use a modem that isn't theirs. This is stated on the contract and also customer service will tell you that too.

There are a number of factors. We've had comcast for probably almost 10 years between 4 different locations. Each location had a unique issue which resulted in poor internet speeds. Swapping out for a new modem, resetting the current one, or having a tech look at the outside lines were all major improvements.

Hopefully in the next year and a half, ATT will have gigapower available to more locations around here and we can all switch and save considerable amounts of money while paying for a modem rental fee and get several hundred mbps download speeds, if not more. Win/Win if you ask me.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Better equipment, More control over settings, more options to change equipment and Admin Networking rights over everything.

Plus if you use Comcast Modems, BY DEFAULT they have a Comcast hotspot wifi network enabled on your Modem (so you will be broadcasting 2 SSIDs). Meaning ANY Comcast user can use your internet and you have ZERO CONTROL to turn it off or disable it without Comcast.

That alone is enough to buy my own equipment.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info