Frank's home buying adventures

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'll just clean up the Democratic Debate thread and put it here.
[MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] [MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION]

Long story short, my goal has been to purchase my own home while 25. I'm just north of 24 now, and will begin looking in the fall. It's a starter house, requirements as follows;

-2 bedroom
-1.5 to 2 bathrooms
-Roughy 1,200-1,500 sq. ft.
-2+ car detached garage

Budget is $125,000-$150,000. I will be putting 20% down on the home. I want a house that needs work, as I've been doing interior work on houses since I was a kid. Painting, cabinets, bathrooms, etc are all fair game for me. A solid roof I don't have to touch for a few years would be a plus. As long as the skeleton is solid, I've got no qualms against putting the effort in.

I mean not top-tier... I've been looking in roughly a 25 mile radius out from Lake Zurich where work is... I've even been looking as far as Bristol Wis and Marengo... If I can get near a major highway I'll be OK. Surface streets, Pretty much Lake villa, hebron, sycamore, etc etc...

what's your price range?

I'd like to stay around or under $150,000. I know it's not a ton of money, but the areas I've looked at are areas where you can get much more bang for your buck. I'm not having any roommates and its a first home, so a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath is really all I need. Most of what I've looked at has had oversized 2 car garages (a few of them were 4 car) as well. 2-3 bedroom, 1.5-2 bath and a few have had unfinished basements for me to build out.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm in the same boat Frank. I'd like to buy around this time next year. but I'd like to keep the budget closer to 100k. Find a fixer upper. Garage is the main thing I have been telling realtors. big 2+ car

That's what I want. Updated the thread. I want a house that needs work, I plan on only being there 1-2 years and just hope that with updating and riding the improving market to some degree will make me a decent chunk of change for a DP on the next house.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Pretty much the only thing I have to say about buying a home (since I'm going to do it again probably in the next couple years or so) find a house with the bones you want, as the old cliche goes. I.E. - if you want a basement, whatever size yard, minimum 2 car, etc. You may not like the interior, but you can remodel and update the interior without breaking the bank. You cannot, however, add a basement or do other massive structural changes without spending a huge amount of money which at that point, you may as well have used that extra money and found a different house more tailored to what you want.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm not getting married to any house or location and plan on buying another fixxer-upper the 2nd time around as well. Just how I am. I'll flip houses like cars over a longer stretch, just want to stay a minimum of 2 years in each place so I'm not constantly uprooted and not paying capital gains on my profits.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
-2 bedroom
-1.5 to 2 bathrooms
-Roughy 1,200-1,500 sq. ft.
-2+ car detached garage

Budget is $125,000-$150,000. I will be putting 20% down on the home. I want a house that needs work, as I've been doing interior work on houses since I was a kid. Painting, cabinets, bathrooms, etc are all fair game for me. A solid roof I don't have to touch for a few years would be a plus. As long as the skeleton is solid, I've got no qualms against putting the effort in.

I have a 2 Bedroom - 2 Bathroom, 1100sqft Condo with a 1 car garage in Wheaton for $145,000 forsale :hsugh:

The Association would LOVE you :rofl:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Pretty much the only thing I have to say about buying a home (since I'm going to do it again probably in the next couple years or so) find a house with the bones you want. I.E. - if you want a basement, whatever size yard, minimum 2 car, etc. You may not like the interior, but you can remodel and update the interior without breaking the bank. You cannot, however, add a basement or do other massive structural changes without spending a huge amount of money which at that point, you may as well have used that extra money and found a different house more tailored to what you want.

I'll definitely work into that over time. My only real requirement is the garage size being 2.5 cars or bigger and have enough driveway for me to put my enclosed trailer. I'm one guy living alone and aside from toys I don't have a lot of shit that would be stored in a basement, spare bedroom will be for reloading, etc, I'll live in one bedroom and have an open living and dining area and be set.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I'll definitely work into that over time. My only real requirement is the garage size being 2.5 cars or bigger and have enough driveway for me to put my enclosed trailer. I'm one guy living alone and aside from toys I don't have a lot of shit that would be stored in a basement, spare bedroom will be for reloading, etc, I'll live in one bedroom and have an open living and dining area and be set.

Oh, that's the other thing. Single family home ONLY. I couldn't deal with an association or neighbors sharing walls. Nope, not even a little bit.

I'm looking for EXACTLY the same thing :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info