New HDTV question: Size vs. Technology?

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Sooooooo I'm in a first world problem predicament. Sold our 58" Plasma this week to upgrade to a larger TV since we have a gigantic wall/mantel thing that it goes on and have more room. Been looking at 65" to 70." Loved the plasma but can't get one in larger sizes and they're discontinued.

Went to Best Buy to see if they had open box/return items... yes I like to roll the dice on these because the deals are fantastic. Low and behold they had two. First was a Samsung 75" .... UN75H6350 (I think last years model) no 4K, but probably one of the best 1080p pictures from last year. This thing was absolutely a monster. $2600 originally marked down to $1550.

Second was a Sony 65" XBR65X850C.... also open box. Is HDR compatible and 4K. $2,000 marked down to $1,570.

What's the better buy here? Older tech for a giant 75" screen, or newer tech with the 65" screen? My only concerns are resale of 75" is harder since there's a much smaller market for these giant sized TV's and no one buys them for apartments or anything, 65" would be easier to sell later I assume. But 4K is limited so not sure if worth it.

Third option: TCG gives other opinions on things in the 65-70 range for around 1,500 since this is my budget.

Annnnnnnnnd go.

UPDATE PAGE 2 - TV Bought.

Last edited:

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Unless you are sitting super close to the 4k screen I would go with the 1080p one. Just isn't a lot of 4k media available and it seems at lest 3-4 years away to truly penetrating the market.

The only time I have been blown away by 4k is being super close to it where you don't see the screendoor/pixels like on 1080p.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I would like the bigger screen IMO, but with Samsung, it's a gamble since they're unreliable.

Every Samsung TV I've ever had has failed within 2 to 4 years. One I was able to fix, the other was not fixable. Other people I know have had the same issue.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
4k is awesome and its useful regardless of how many broadcasts you can find due to the auto upscaling. I got a 65" LG 4k around Christmas time. The interface is great and the picture is amazing.

Also, you can upgrade your Netflix account to 4k service... so if you have enough inet bandwidth, you can stream actual 4k content.

My model: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65UF8500-4k-uhd-led-tv

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I will never own another Samsung tv ever again. Garbage. Had 2 go to shit. My parents had 2 or 3 that died and my brother had a few as well that failed. All within 5 years...meanwhile my sharp lcd that was 10 years old was still kicking
Currently I bought a display model Sony bravia2 from Best Buy. Was like $2600 or something and marked down to about $1200? Can't remember, got it almost 4 years ago. I LOVE it. Not s single hiccup or issue whatsoever. My next tv will be a Sony no question about it.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
This is harder than I thought haha.

Might also check out a different Best Buy to see if they have any open box stuff. 65" is a pretty good all around size, but I really did want 70" ughhhhhhhhhhh. Sony doesn't even make a 70, it's either 65 or 75 (which I can't afford new).

Had the wife measure the living room and we're roughly 13 feet away from where the TV is. So the 4K might not really even be noticed. But at the same time, I want to keep this for 5 years and not shoot myself in the foot.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I will never own another Samsung tv ever again. Garbage. Had 2 go to shit. My parents had 2 or 3 that died and my brother had a few as well that failed. All within 5 years...meanwhile my sharp lcd that was 10 years old was still kicking
Currently I bought a display model Sony bravia2 from Best Buy. Was like $2600 or something and marked down to about $1200? Can't remember, got it almost 4 years ago. I LOVE it. Not s single hiccup or issue whatsoever. My next tv will be a Sony no question about it.

Purchased during black Friday sales?

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Everyone I know with a Samsung absolutely loves them and can't recommend them fast enough...

I usually just stick with Sony TV's though. My old LCD projection one crapped out a few years ago, so I bought a Bravia and it's been running strong, but I need to update to a larger one soon and mount that damn thing onto the wall.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
My previous 2 Sammys have been solid.

Again, I will recommend Vizio. You can get into a 4k tv for cheap and they are solid. The M series are good units. If my 80in Sharp ever dies, I'm moving into a big Vizio.

I have the a 55 inch vizio
VIZIO VF552XVT 55-Inch Class XVT Series TRULED 240Hz sps LED LCD VIZIO Internet Apps HDTV
I bought it in june of 2010 and it is still going strong.
You get a lot for your money with Vizio.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
I would get the larger one.

Resell of a TV set is never a concern for me. I don't think many people think this way either. But obviously there is a market since u sold ur old one.

I wouldn't buy a used used tv. I don't mind buying open box and factory reman. But not used without warranty.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
We've got 2 ~50" 1080P Samsungs that run here at work for 10 hours straight, every business day, without a hiccup. They've been running like this for over 2 years (~5000 hours).

I've also never heard anything bad about Samsungs, really, until this thread...I have heard bad things about LG, and would probably never buy one. Interestingly, I have a Phillips 40" 1080P 120Hz that I bought refurbished like 5 years ago....it's been rock solid, and has made 4 moves with me now.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
So update:

Went back to Best Buy over lunch and realized the 75" Samsung has a small crack in the lower left hand part of the panel. Wasn't noticeable the first time I was looking at it, but when the screen goes dark, or turns off you can see it. Probably about 2" (spider web crack). So that changes things. No wonder it's open box for that price. The Best Buy guy said he could knock the price down to $1,400. Not sure now. It really is a huge TV, [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] your 80" must seem enormous.

Looked closer at the 65" Sony which had a superior picture I thought, but again now the 65" seems small compared to 75".
My previous 2 Sammys have been solid.

Again, I will recommend Vizio. You can get into a 4k tv for cheap and they are solid. The M series are good units. If my 80in Sharp ever dies, I'm moving into a big Vizio.

I actually really like the M series 70" - highly rated on rtings as well:

Best picture quality 70-75 inch TVs - Winter 2016: Reviews

Only problem is they haven't dropped in price too much, lowest I can find is around $1,800. Trying hard to stay around the $1,500 mark.

I would get the larger one.

Resell of a TV set is never a concern for me. I don't think many people think this way either. But obviously there is a market since u sold ur old one.

I wouldn't buy a used used tv. I don't mind buying open box and factory reman. But not used without warranty.

Not sure if the Samsung in this case had a warranty on it. Sony did though. I think either TV you could buy the geek squad additional protection plan on however.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
We've got 2 ~50" 1080P Samsungs that run here at work for 10 hours straight, every business day, without a hiccup. They've been running like this for over 2 years (~5000 hours).

I've also never heard anything bad about Samsungs, really, until this thread...I have heard bad things about LG, and would probably never buy one. Interestingly, I have a Phillips 40" 1080P 120Hz that I bought refurbished like 5 years ago....it's been rock solid, and has made 4 moves with me now.

The Samsung plasma I had didn't have a single problem in the 5 years I owned it. :dunno:

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The Samsung plasma I had didn't have a single problem in the 5 years I owned it. :dunno:

Yeah, I wouldn't be turned off of Samsung by one persons experiences, with the otherwise overwhelming positive reviews.

Also FWIW, parents have a Bravia that's a couple years old now, and they've never had any issues either. Sony, from what I've heard, also makes a solid TV.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info