This weeks edition of what would you do: Employment edition

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Ok, so just recently (3 weeks ago) I left my employer (corporate, huge company) for a smaller (15 people in the office) company because their benefits were way better, not as busy, etc. Plus they wanted to pay me 10K more. I've been there for 3 weeks now and so far so good. I just got contacted earlier in the week for a different position (managerial) in the same field but different company. Potential company is a smidge bigger but not that much. They are offering me the same as my current 3 week company but they want to pay me 10k more.

would you take it? Mind you IF I do take said job, I am going to be a real asshole for bailing on current job. I'm not the type that usually likes to burn bridges (especially in same industry because people talk).

Current:

10k more than previous job I had. 3 weeks vacation after one year, 6% on 401K match, employer pays for medical/dental, etc. Small company with only 3 branches in the US (most are in Europe). Work is not too busy so it's do a little here and there and collect.

Potential:

10K more on top of what I am currently making, 3 weeks vacation when I start, 5% match on 401K, employer picks up 90% of benefits. Smidge bigger company with various locations around US. Work would be busier but not by an extravagant amount.

:shrug:

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Ok, so just recently (3 weeks ago) I left my employer (corporate, huge company) for a smaller (15 people in the office) company because their benefits were way better, not as busy, etc. Plus they wanted to pay me 10K more. I've been there for 3 weeks now and so far so good. I just got contacted earlier in the week for a different position (managerial) in the same field but different company. Potential company is a smidge bigger but not that much. They are offering me the same as my current 3 week company but they want to pay me 10k more.

would you take it? Mind you IF I do take said job, I am going to be a real asshole for bailing on current job. I'm not the type that usually likes to burn bridges (especially in same industry because people talk).

Current:

10k more than previous job I had. 3 weeks vacation after one year, 6% on 401K match, employer pays for medical/dental, etc. Small company with only 3 branches in the US (most are in Europe). Work is not too busy so it's do a little here and there and collect.

Potential:

10K more on top of what I am currently making, 3 weeks vacation when I start, 5% match on 401K, employer picks up 90% of benefits. Smidge bigger company with various locations around US. Work would be busier but not by an extravagant amount.

:shrug:

What is your commute like for each? Sounds like the offer for the new company is kind of a wash to what you are doing now because of the less 401K match and 90% benefits coverage.

I say just stay where you are.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Who offers better job advancement? You can take the new job for 10k more but be pretty much stuck in a managerial position with not much room for advancement, whereas, the current one offers more room for advancement with a better possibility of making more in the long run with still better benefits than the newer job.

From the info provided, I'd say stay. Sounds like all the other (newer) job will offer is 10k better pay. Benefits are almost the same but slightly less with roughly $192.31/week more (before taxes). Not a worthwhile jump for a new position.

If the managerial position offered a hell of a lot stress, then that may be a possible different story, however, it doesn't sound like it's the case with you. I vote STAY.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I had a similar thing happen with me. The job I have now is more involved but it's also propelling me professionally. It was a 28k a year salary bump with a bigger bonus and still get to work from home. With the baby on the way and wife staying at home it made sense for me to do it. If you are in a field where you can always find a job then it's worth taking the risk of trying something new.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i wouldn't like moving after such a short period of time, although depending on the percentage of salary as others noted, maybe that would meaningfully change the quality of your life. maybe not, sounds like a lot more effort.

upside is probably better at your smaller company if you are able to grab the reins of something and start making shit happen.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Update...

So I crunched the numbers and it came out to an extra 530/month with new salary.

New company will be having me do 40% more work then current company.

Current company just announced they want to pay for us to take a company trip to Switzerland (hq) on their dime.

Been to Switzerland. You will like it. Other than their roads are a cluster fuck and they don't have a lot of signage for road names. But if you don't have to drive you're gonna like it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info