Good news everyone! Ads are coming to FB Messenger!

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Facebook May Be Planning On Pushing Ads In Messenger

Not exactly sure how this will work. I'm just glad I have no FB products on my phone. Bloated pieces of shit.

A leaked document indicates Facebook has a big change planned for Messenger this year, and it's not likely to make most users happy. The social network has reached out its biggest advertising partners to announce the impending release of ads in Facebook Messenger. The ads will be tied to conversations, so Facebook is suggesting that businesses get customers to start Messenger threads with them now.

As you can probably imagine, Facebook isn't commenting on the leaked document. This is the sort of change that requires finesse to have any hope of quelling discontent, and leaking an internal document meant for close partners is not it. The document does mention a URL shortening service (fb.com/msg/NAME) that Facebook has quietly launched, and the company has confirmed that is real. The URL makes it easier to open Messenger threads, and thus push ads.

In its alert to businesses, Facebook says that Messenger ads should carry on existing conversations, not barrage consumers with ads that will only cause them to close a thread. Messenger ads might be used to announce free gifts, limited time sales, or update someone when a product is back in stock. This sort of hyper-targeted advertising will probably come with high rates for Facebook, but will people put up with it? We'll find out when Messenger ads (probably) go live in 2Q of this year.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
NFG. I won't install Messenger on my phone, it wants way too much permission for a simple messaging app. There was no reason to split the messaging into a dedicated application in the first place, so I'm just turned off by the whole thing. I've got no problem with the Facebook app tho.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
NFG. I won't install Messenger on my phone, it wants way too much permission for a simple messaging app. There was no reason to split the messaging into a dedicated application in the first place, so I'm just turned off by the whole thing. I've got no problem with the Facebook app tho.

i dont have messenger on my phone, but i have the facebook app, and 75% of the time, i can't see my messages unless i go on my browser to facebook... but 25% of the time, my messages pop up in the app... does this happen to you?

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
i dont have messenger on my phone, but i have the facebook app, and 75% of the time, i can't see my messages unless i go on my browser to facebook... but 25% of the time, my messages pop up in the app... does this happen to you?

Naah, I haven't had access to the messages tab in the Facebook app since they split it off and turned the message tab into an ad for the Messenger app. I get notifications of having received a message, but it just says that someone sent one, no further detail.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Naah, I haven't had access to the messages tab in the Facebook app since they split it off and turned the message tab into an ad for the Messenger app. I get notifications of having received a message, but it just says that someone sent one, no further detail.

click the notification every now and then, mine seriously pops up every 1 out of 4 times for sure. it's weird.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
First off, why is it a separate app for messages when it used to work just fine in the main app.

Second, why the fuck does anybody use it? Just send a goddamn text. It's not 2009 anymore and every phone plan on earth has unlimited texting. If you don't have my phone number I probably don't want to talk to you

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info