3 credit scores

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Depends on what you are trying to buy. Most IL car dealers use transunion, but their banks can look at all three. Cellphone places and utilities use both experian and equifax. And when buying a house, they use all three. Then take the middle score and base your approval on that. So I'd say all three are very important. But if you plan to buy a car soon here in the mid west, its transunion. And then there is the method of scoring....

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
When I just bought my house, all three banks I got quotes from used Transunion I believe...I'm trying to go back through my records to figure it out though...but I just remember being surprised they all used the same one...maybe like [MENTION=5219]ZXMustang[/MENTION] is saying, and it was just the middle score :dunno:

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
When I just bought my house, all three banks I got quotes from used Transunion I believe...I'm trying to go back through my records to figure it out though...but I just remember being surprised they all used the same one...maybe like [MENTION=5219]ZXMustang[/MENTION] is saying, and it was just the middle score :dunno:

Probably was. I just talked to a mortgage guy a few days ago and they are still using middle score at my local bank.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Just pulled mine from a site I use to monitor my credit and all were within a few points of each other. 3-5 points or so. So a median average would not be an issue for me.

All 3 should be fairly close together. You should not see a large swing between them. 750 on one and 700 on another and 780 on the 3rd etc....

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
What I don't get is how all the credit card companies and even my back give out the credit scores from Experian I believe. Yet they all are different. Some by a little.

And what's the top score anyways? I thought it was 850. I've had higher than that.

There are different scoring models. Vantage and fico are a few. They they both have different versions. Depends on which scoring model your report is ran through.

A Guide to Credit Scoring Models - US News

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Reviving this thread;

My score has been SCREAMING in an upward direction since paying off my debt with my tax refund.

FICO Went from 703 to 783 over 3 months... I didn't think a 'lump sum' pay-off of things would have this dramatic of an impact so quickly, I was expecting maybe a 35-40 point jump, not 80.

For those who are credit saavy, what is the best 'quick' way to build credit? Someone has inquired with me that has little history and want to beef it up efficiently.

Side Note:

recently when i was pulled for a mortgage, they looked at all 3.

My Loan Officer says they use the Median (So just the average of all 3).

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Reviving this thread;

My score has been SCREAMING in an upward direction since paying off my debt with my tax refund.

FICO Went from 703 to 783 over 3 months... I didn't think a 'lump sum' pay-off of things would have this dramatic of an impact so quickly, I was expecting maybe a 35-40 point jump, not 80.

For those who are credit saavy, what is the best 'quick' way to build credit? Someone has inquired with me that has little history and want to beef it up efficiently.

Side Note:

My wife hired a company to fight all the crap on her credit report that had never came off. 6 months and $70/mo. Her score went up just over 150 points

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Reviving this thread;

Side Note:

median does not = average... it's close but not the same.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info