📸 Photography Raptor Weekend

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Just wanted to share some photos from my incredible raptor weekend.
I am sure some of you know that I LOVE snowy owls and eagles. There are some snowy owls about an hour away that I have been going out to see, but they have been really far out in the fields. Well I found another place that there are a bunch of snowy owls within a mile distance. I had to go see them. I found 7!!! They are so used to people here that you can literally get about 25 feet from them. This is just a few of the 700 pictures I took of the snowys.
Enjoy the pictures.
yKGtZxd.jpg

0eBMBf9.jpg

This was in someones driveway and the person came home and it just looked at the lady. It's always funny to see them with their head extended looking down.
cXErCy6.jpg

9vHAIQl.jpg

952ustP.jpg

Some guy kept walking right up to them and scaring them off.
1NbQnb7.jpg

WGwnNCK.jpg

I have always wanted to see an all white one. Most of the time I see the small juveniles that are heavily barred.

rnhrhUR.jpg

7COWuBK.jpg

1RMizRc.jpg

p8horqL.jpg

XUEFZpy.jpg

XPPzWqW.jpg

On Sunday I went to the fox river between St Charles and Elgin. I saw Eagles locking talons as I was driving. Would have been an awesome picture.
The lighting was terrible so the quality isn't that good. I had to shoot at ISO 1000.
7DySl40.jpg

VI67zQN.jpg

MZVDOjm.jpg

WSM6t0O.jpg

Br2YlTK.jpg

Hl5eX7N.jpg

iArYxnu.jpg

r9SpNnS.jpg

Anyway I hope you guys enjoyed the pictures. Any questions, comments, feel free to ask.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Questions? How the F do you find these birds? lol Those owls are amazing.

Lol. I've learned about their behavior so you get an idea where to look. For example: Snowy owls live in the arctic. When they have babies, it's hard for the babies to hunt up there because of the frozen tundra. So they are basically forced to travel south. Once they find a spot that has plenty of food, they stay. They will stay until the weather starts to warm up and then they will head back north. They love farm fields especially. So there are some that come down to the Dekalb/Rochelle area every year. So I and other people will drive around looking for them perched up on posts or barns.

As far as Eagles go, they are usually way up north too. Not in the arctic, but in Canada and Alaska. Well the rivers freeze as it get's colder so the fly south. Since they eat fish, they hang around dams and any other open water sources. The more frozen the river is, the more concentrated in one area they are. Also the colder it is, the more active they are.

There is also a website called ebird where you can search for certain species. People report them all the time. There is also facebook too. Then again I don't like when people report them because it turns into a shit show. For example, when I was looking for those snowy's there was about 15 other cars. I found one on a busy road and I was on the side street taking pictures. People saw me taking pictures and parked on the buy street, blocking traffic. There was almost an accident at one point.
Oh yeah and the people are always trying to approach them. I have a friend that reports the snowys every time he sees them and then about an hour later there are 10 cars lined up. Then you get people trying to approach them with their Iphones and flush them further away. You don't really want to make these birds fly if they don't have to because they could die if they don't get the protein they need to fly.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Thanks to these pictures I have now looked up the difference between Hawks and Falcons.

Falconidae is a family of diurnal birds of prey, notably the falcons and caracaras. They differ from hawks, eagles and kites in that they kill with their beaks instead of their talons. There are 5 Illinois species.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Look at those low rates!

I remember a couple years ago when those Eagles were nesting at Mooseheart, the police eventually had to step in and stop people from parking on Randall because it got so dangerous. I saw a ton of bald eagles last summer working the BNSF line from Savanna, IL up to the Twin Cities along the Mississippi.

Nice pics, guessing a 300 or 400mm lens?

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Look at those low rates!

I remember a couple years ago when those Eagles were nesting at Mooseheart, the police eventually had to step in and stop people from parking on Randall because it got so dangerous. I saw a ton of bald eagles last summer working the BNSF line from Savanna, IL up to the Twin Cities along the Mississippi.

Nice pics, guessing a 300 or 400mm lens?
200-500mm

That nest blew down but there is another one on the property. The female is getting ready for babies.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info