A good look at our defense budget.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Congress Must Stop the Decline of Our Military Readiness - Defense One

Its simply not enough.

First, let’s examine the numbers. The president admits we face many grave dangers today, yet the overall funding for the Department of Defense is $2.3 billion less than it was last year. And if you discount additional war funding, the president has requested a staggering $10.3 billion dollars less to sustain a military that is undergoing a manning, readiness, and modernization crisis—all in an time of elevated threat levels.

This budget is wholly ignorant of the very real threats to our security and our enemies are taking notice. Russia, identified by virtually every advisor to the president as the preeminent threat to the U.S., is attempting to rewrite the last 30 years of history by threatening our allies in Europe with massive military exercises that mimic invading sovereign nations. They are also deploying intermediate range nuclear weapons in Europe’s back yard and nuclear blackmail by targeting NATO allies such as Denmark if they join the U.S. missile defense shield.

Meanwhile, China is pursuing a multi-domain military build-up in the Western Pacific by making sandcastles in the South China Sea, which, along with air, naval, and missile architecture, will serve as a platform to gain air superiority, assert control of the sea, and threaten our regional bases and allies.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
IMO, more important than spending more money is spending the money wisely. In recent years, we have traded well trained soldiers for outrageously priced "Star Wars" weapons. Take care of the troops, hire more of them, provide them with proven equipment that doesn't cost billions a pop and our readiness will climb again.

Jay4

Regular
Sep 15, 2015
Once an emp goes off nothing will be more important than well trained and equipped boots.

to bad obama would probably be more concerned about if the golf courses are ok or where the next vacation destination he can fly off to will be

if americans want a stronger military they need to start by voting in the ones who support the military in the first place

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
And you can sleep peacefully at night with out having to worry about a drone turning your house into a crater, ohh and drive to work without having to worry about hitting an ied or have dinner with your friends and family with out having to worry about some extermist group kicking your door in saying they will kill you if you dont either A. pay them or B. convert.

Too harsh? The thought of the alternative and not having a great military is scary isnt it?

At the end of the day Ive said it since before my 1st tour Im now on my 5th, Id rather fight in someone elses country so I dont have to in mine!

BTW Im happy to wear a uniform so that those that dont want to, or cant, or dont have the balls to dont have to.....

Your welcome.

If people dont want to stand behind the troops of our armed forces I invite you to stand in front of them.............

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
And you can sleep peacefully at night with out having to worry about a drone turning your house into a crater, ohh and drive to work without having to worry about hitting an ied or have dinner with your friends and family with out having to worry about some extermist group kicking your door in saying they will kill you if you dont either A. pay them or B. convert.

Too harsh? The thought of the alternative and not having a great military is scary isnt it?

At the end of the day Ive said it since before my 1st tour Im now on my 5th, Id rather fight in someone elses country so I dont have to in mine!

BTW Im happy to wear a uniform so that those that dont want to, or cant, or dont have the balls to dont have to.....

Your welcome.

If people dont want to stand behind the troops of our armed forces I invite you to stand in front of them.............

Cliffs Notes: All I have to say about any of this is "F35"

Military spending is Ignorant, full-stop. There's a difference between operating what is likely the most powerful military on the planet, and operating it efficiently/economically.

Billions and Billions go wasted every year due to wasteful/needless military spending, that could/should go toward the troops. For our economy, let alone our military to be successful going forward, costs MUST be cut, and troop reimbursement must improve. Cutting Shit-Show projects could easily off-set the cut in funding...

Cost Over runs from the F35 program ALONE in 2010 were 5 BILLION, its the JOB of the 'powers that be' to figure this shit out and make it work with less money.

No offense, but simply saying "They can't cut funding 10 Billion Because things are struggling the way they are" is not a sound statement.

Dollars to Donuts, There will ALWAYS be a need for more money if nothing is 'changed', but it takes a situation/move like this to finally make higher ups reflect on where all the fucking money is actually GOING.

So in Summary; I feel that solders are under paid, I feel military spending is wreckless, and something needs to be done. Hopefully this will light some fires to make higher ups take action. If the decision is made to further hurt the troops (Either in numbers, or fiscally) in favor of new technology spending, it just shows how corrupt the whole thing is.

So again, Its not that I feel the budgets should be slashed, or that we should allow our military to be 'compromised' by being sub-standard, I just feel that the way the money is being spent currently is awful and unclear, and maybe this would be a push to fix that problem.

Typhoon

Addict
Sep 25, 2011
IMO, more important than spending more money is spending the money wisely. In recent years, we have traded well trained soldiers for outrageously priced "Star Wars" weapons. Take care of the troops, hire more of them, provide them with proven equipment that doesn't cost billions a pop and our readiness will climb again.

Agreed 100%. The military needs to get its finances in order every bit as much as the civilian government. A 400 billion dollar F-35 program that performs no better than the aircraft we're currently flying. The Navy's 1.4 billion dollar LCS program that's 400 million over budget and they have no idea what to even use the ships for. None of this does anything to increase our military capability.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006

This. This all fucking day. Personally, I don't think we should spend MORE money on defense, we should spend that money properly first. Just like every corner of the government, it's run inefficiently, and by the corrupt. We don't need to elect people who are military friendly into office, we need to elect people that will impart change and clean up the bullshit that's going on with military procurement and contracts.

Military is important. But more important is a properly run and efficient military. 17% of the national budget goes towards defense (nearly $600 billion).

Additionally, people are scared of a war that will never happen. WWIII isn't on the doorstep, the threat lies within terrorists and guerrilla warfare. Threats where high performance stealth bombers and fighters literally do and mean absolutely nothing. These threats require well trained soliders, thorough intelligence, and accurate munition strikes. If we get into another military spending race with Russia, we will go bankrupt, just like the USSR 20 years ago. Get rid of the inefficiencies and gear up for the war we are currently facing not the war that will never happen.

Additionally, how about we learn from fucking history and get the FUCK OUT OF THE MIDDLE EAST. WE CREATED AL QAEDA. WE CREATED ISIS. Why do we think that continuing occupation and military action is going to change anything?!

Jay4

Regular
Sep 15, 2015
And you can sleep peacefully at night with out having to worry about a drone turning your house into a crater

a north korean satellite flew over the stadium during the superbowl.maybe you should stop and think how safe you really are

i mean,i support the military as much as the next guy.but with a pussy like obama running the country what difference does it make

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
This. This all fucking day. Personally, I don't think we should spend MORE money on defense, we should spend that money properly first. Just like every corner of the government, it's run inefficiently, and by the corrupt. We don't need to elect people who are military friendly into office, we need to elect people that will impart change and clean up the bullshit that's going on with military procurement and contracts.

Military is important. But more important is a properly run and efficient military. 17% of the national budget goes towards defense (nearly $600 billion).

Additionally, people are scared of a war that will never happen. WWIII isn't on the doorstep, the threat lies within terrorists and guerrilla warfare. Threats where high performance stealth bombers and fighters literally do and mean absolutely nothing. These threats require well trained soliders, thorough intelligence, and accurate munition strikes. If we get into another military spending race with Russia, we will go bankrupt, just like the USSR 20 years ago. Get rid of the inefficiencies and gear up for the war we are currently facing not the war that will never happen.

Additionally, how about we learn from fucking history and get the FUCK OUT OF THE MIDDLE EAST. WE CREATED AL QAEDA. WE CREATED ISIS. Why do we think that continuing occupation and military action is going to change anything?!

I <3 u

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
I don't really think people here quite understand the defense budget.

1. Yes it is a shit load of money.

2. Yes there are areas that can be cut.

3. Cant wait until confrontation to prepare a military. (WWIII isn't eminent but best have it and not need it that need it and not have it.)

4. I'd like to see the break down of where the cuts are, Yes I could stomach cuts coming from DOD contractors such as Lockheed, Northrop, Raytheon ect, ect. IFFF the cuts are coming from there then yes Im 100% fine with it vs. training and readiness for each branches of the service no.

5. People get so bent out of shape about waste and efficiency, Quite honestly if people saw what I have overseas for waste and over run you would all lose your mind. But let me be clear AGAIN most of it is contractors not those in uniform.

6. Leads me to this last point. Why does the military have to have contractors here for billeting and to do laundry, and to do the dining facilities, and for half the other "sustainment" jobs needed to run a mission 24hrs a day round the clock. 365.
Everyone likes to claim we have the most powerful military on the planet. Guess what with out contractor support it would come to a screeching halt. I can understand if its drone pilots or Blackhawk mechanics or asset support that's farmed out but people to run the defacs and billeting office and laundry that should be self sufficient.

7. F35. Again the over runs are contractor fuckery not purchasing the birds. So yes I'll agree that whole program is a mess.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I don't really think people here quite understand the defense budget.

1. Yes it is a shit load of money.

2. Yes there are areas that can be cut.

3. Cant wait until confrontation to prepare a military. (WWIII isn't eminent but best have it and not need it that need it and not have it.)

4. I'd like to see the break down of where the cuts are, Yes I could stomach cuts coming from DOD contractors such as Lockheed, Northrop, Raytheon ect, ect. IFFF the cuts are coming from there then yes Im 100% fine with it vs. training and readiness for each branches of the service no.

5. People get so bent out of shape about waste and efficiency, Quite honestly if people saw what I have overseas for waste and over run you would all lose your mind. But let me be clear AGAIN most of it is contractors not those in uniform.

6. Leads me to this last point. Why does the military have to have contractors here for billeting and to do laundry, and to do the dining facilities, and for half the other "sustainment" jobs needed to run a mission 24hrs a day round the clock. 365.
Everyone likes to claim we have the most powerful military on the planet. Guess what with out contractor support it would come to a screeching halt. I can understand if its drone pilots or Blackhawk mechanics or asset support that's farmed out but people to run the defacs and billeting office and laundry that should be self sufficient.

7. F35. Again the over runs are contractor fuckery not purchasing the birds. So yes I'll agree that whole program is a mess.

And these points are exactly my point. People get all bent out of shape about the government increasing spending on a social program that is poorly run, but has no qualms increasing budgets for a poorly run (and at much more economic expense) military. Again, military is important, and I'm not suggesting cutting the budget. What I am for is cutting the "fat" the BS that we don't need, that $40 milliion gas station that is sitting unused. Like you mentioned, contractors, and not even the contractors that do support services, but the boots on ground contractors (cough Haliburton cough) Is it any surprise that Haliburton's stock from 9/11 to mid-2005 rose nearly 700%??

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
To be fair here Haliburton was running convoys and driving rolling bomb trucks aka fuelers.......

Some of that shit for "vital" asset support is easier to farm out. My gripe is paying old miss daisy to walk around over here in a sunflower hat with no weapon and zero fucks given making 6 figures to sit at a billeting office desk.

Listen here damn it I'll do her job ANNNNNND my job if someone forks over her pay to me!!

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
To be fair here Haliburton was running convoys and driving rolling bomb trucks aka fuelers.......

Some of that shit for "vital" asset support is easier to farm out. My gripe is paying old miss daisy to walk around over here in a sunflower hat with no weapon and zero fucks given making 6 figures to sit at a billeting office desk.

Listen here damn it I'll do her job ANNNNNND my job if someone forks over her pay to me!!

Do you guys have a lot of down time during working hours? Is it like a 8-5 where you do military stuff then can do whatever while being on call/on base?

I think the other issue may be if shtf, you'll be gone fighting while those extra tasks will not be completed then.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Do you guys have a lot of down time during working hours? Is it like a 8-5 where you do military stuff then can do whatever while being on call/on base?

I think the other issue may be if shtf, you'll be gone fighting while those extra tasks will not be completed then.

My point is since when in the hell is the military not self sufficient?

I have a lot of down time as long as the radars running and providing air picture Im good. I could easily accomplish my job and miss daisy's billeting job for her healthy 6 figure pay.......

There are plenty of "base ops" support to go around that a big chunk of these contractors could take a hike. Minus those providing asset support such as the drone pilots.

bluzohh6

The system works
Jul 2, 2007
Elgin, IL

Your welcome.

The only country I would have to worry about turning my home into a crater from a drone strike is this country. I'm sorry but Obama during his presidency authorized legislation to allow done strikes to be carried out on Americans, on American soil. And you expect me to be more worried about some asshole goat herder on the other side of the planet? I'm sorry but I didn't drink the kool-aid and I'm not buying the bull shit.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Please let me know when a drone fires off a missile at civilians in the United States.....

I'll wait.........

Also show me where he authorized drone strikes, I could be wrong but I recall that being passed for surveillance use such as drones patrolling our boarders, east and west coasts, and the gulf of mexico, not carrying out strikes....

Again show me where it allows strikes....

I'll wait....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info