Learn me on Go Pros

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
My daughter got a Geekpro for Christmas. I dont know how well it has worked so far, but after reviews and videos seen on youtube, it doesnt look terrible. On top of the fact that it is less than $100 on Amazon.

Im sure the GoPro is better, but is it $200+ better for what you are going to do with it?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
realistically the best deal is probably buying a used one. i think plenty of these don't get used all that often, mine included. nonetheless i've had a poopton of them. accessories i like in general are the ram mounts, which are much easier to mount and aim as you'd like since they use ball joints. consider extra batteries if you are doing anything for reasonable amounts of time. potentially consider an external battery if you don't have one so you can charge things on the ago instead/in addition to that.

Shocker

ShockerRacing.com
Feb 21, 2008
Aurora, IL
My daughter got a Geekpro for Christmas. I dont know how well it has worked so far, but after reviews and videos seen on youtube, it doesnt look terrible. On top of the fact that it is less than $100 on Amazon.

Im sure the GoPro is better, but is it $200+ better for what you are going to do with it?
I've been looking for a little camcorder, but didn't want to pay gopro prices because.. Well I wont use it tons. I ordered the geekpro 2.0, 32gb card and an accessory pack for less than $100

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL

Interesting, I will have to check it out.

realistically the best deal is probably buying a used one. i think plenty of these don't get used all that often, mine included. nonetheless i've had a poopton of them. accessories i like in general are the ram mounts, which are much easier to mount and aim as you'd like since they use ball joints. consider extra batteries if you are doing anything for reasonable amounts of time. potentially consider an external battery if you don't have one so you can charge things on the ago instead/in addition to that.

What is a "reasonable" amount of time ?

I've been looking for a little camcorder, but didn't want to pay gopro prices because.. Well I wont use it tons. I ordered the geekpro 2.0, 32gb card and an accessory pack for less than $100

Yeah, they are expensive.... Did you get it on Amazon as mentioned by [MENTION=95]Fish[/MENTION] ?

I just moved and haven't yet found all my stuff but I have a hero3 black that I'm willing to part with

Once you find it, I would be interested to hear your price :jg:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
What is a "reasonable" amount of time ?

dunno i think their website has some estimates. depends on the quality and framerate you are going for. i wonder if being hot outside costs time too? i bring 2 extra batteries plus an external battery pack plus chargers when i do a track day, although realistically, with 2 batteries you can get 4-5 sessions.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I'm pretty sure I saw a gopro package at target for 199... either way for 300 or less I barely use mine but it's amazing. The versatility is unmatched, especially for the waterproof/underwater vids on vacation or the like, let alone anything car related. Bought the dog top Mount deal to share with my in-laws between 3 dogs and that produced some hilarious vids

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
What are you using this for Gav? The session packs a lot in for its $200 price tag, unless you NEED a built in screen (you can use your phone to control it)

Um, well videos and pictures. Car videos come to mind... seems like something fun to keep me busy over the summer...

I have a hero 3 with extra battery, charger, bunch of mounts, and the suction cup mount for cars. $200

:eek:rly:

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
I have a GoPro hero 3 black. These can be found used for reasonable prices now.
Personally I think the video quality is pretty good, certainly adequate for casual fun use.

tips:

I recommend the OE GoPro mountings and accessories over some of the aftermarket stuff, especially suction cups. The quality is better. Aftermarket batteries and chargers all are fine though.

Using the app to control the camera DRAINS the battery life. I tried it and thought it was cool, but 10 minutes later I was down to one bar on the camera. It's ok to use quickly if your framing a setup without the backpack, but be sure to disable the wifi on the camera right after.

For car use, get an external mic. All my great video footage from things like the Tcg tour are just hours of rubbish thanks to wind noise. Get one with the longest possible cord and you can run it to mount by the exhaust while the camera sits wherever. I picked one up this winter and the difference is night and day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info