Need some recommendations for Ski Resorts

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Alpine. Close proximity and the "slopes" are about as challenging as a parking lot.

First lesson. Get your skis on, fall down, figure out how to get back up. No joke, you're going to be falling down a lot, learn how to get up. When I used to teach my friends how to ski if show them how to click into the bindings, I'd make them bend their knees then I'd push them over and talk them thru how to get up.

Lesson 2. When you fall DO NOT TRY TO STOP YOURSELF. Just go down, relax and enjoy the ride. If you try to break your fall you're going to break a body part, just imitate a rag doll and try not to bash your head.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
only been to Devil's Head and Grand Geneva, learned how to ski at Grand (had a groupon deal). Devil's Head is not bad either. They have a beginner area, and ez going green hills. Definitely get a package with beginner lessons. They are going to teach you how to stand, how to "pizza stop", how to fall, etc.. Once you get comfortable, learn how to properly hockey stop.

invest in quality gear too... ski mask, snowpants, wind breaker jacket, waterproof gloves AND socks... somewhere to keep beer to pound on the lifts :rofl:

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The location really doesn’t matter, just find a location where a friend that skis will go with you. [MENTION=510]Vogz[/MENTION] taught me how to ski at Alpine Valley over a decade ago. Besides laughing at me, he taught me everything from putting on my boots to riding a lift. Both are critical before you even hit the slopes lol. Or you can take a lesson, but a friend is cheaper.

I wouldn’t invest in any equipment before you know you like it. Just use existing winter gear and rent skis/boots.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
The location really doesn’t matter, just find a location where a friend that skis will go with you. [MENTION=510]Vogz[/MENTION] taught me how to ski at Alpine Valley over a decade ago. Besides laughing at me, he taught me everything from putting on my boots to riding a lift. Both are critical before you even hit the slopes lol. Or you can take a lesson, but a friend is cheaper.

I wouldn’t invest in any equipment before you know you like it. Just use existing winter gear and rent skis/boots.

This all day. If you've never skied before the location doesn't matter. Hell you could go to Four Lakes in Lisle to get comfortable on skis before going to a bigger resort.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Chestnut Mtn in Galena is actually a great place for either day trips or staying the weekend. The resort has good ski in/ski out accommodations (at least that I remember back in the day).

Alpine I'd vote number 2 for day trip, but it tends to get really crowded with high school kids it seems like. They do have 1 high speed quad lift though. For your intentions of learning either one would be fine. Cascade and DH are about the same distance as going to Galena.

OR.....

Fly out here and learn how to ski properly and not on ice with 1/2 second runs.

:io:

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Yeah just go to Villa Olivia or Wilmont to learn. Not worth the trip to spend most of it in pain. lol After 2 days at one of these bumps Id head to Devils head. Granite Peak is the best place with out going to the UP. But, once you go out west these places are all just a sick joke of waiting in line and avoiding newbs. I miss UT, these kids need to grow up faster so I can go again. lol

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Learning to ride out here was a great thing. You learn to land your trick really quick. If not, it hurts when you don't land upright.

Haha no I agree, it teaches you fast or you get hurt. I learned out to ski growing up at Wilmot in Wisconsin...if you could conquer that ice luge it was smooth sailing.

Only thing midwest doesn't teach you at all is what a real black or double black diamond entails for vertical drop when you go somewhere legit. But the midwest will sure teach you braking and control! :fy:

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Haha no I agree, it teaches you fast or you get hurt. I learned out to ski growing up at Wilmot in Wisconsin...if you could conquer that ice luge it was smooth sailing.

Only thing midwest doesn't teach you at all is what a real black or double black diamond entails for vertical drop when you go somewhere legit. But the midwest will sure teach you braking and control! :fy:

I was a teacher at Raging Buffalo for 6 years. By nightfall things got really icy a lot of nights. With it being just a terrain park, you either sick it your first time or not.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info