Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I really hope there is another side to this :ugh: :ugh:

Girls basketball team gets booted from league for being too good | Fox News

Rogers Area Youth Basketball Association kicked out of league by the Northwest Suburban Basketball League. (Fox 9)

A Minnesota youth basketball team has been ejected from a league for being too good and now the coach, parents and players are crying foul.

The Rogers Area Youth Basketball Association girls high school team was forced to the sidelines by the Northwest Suburban Basketball League -- and it’s all because the team is 3-0, Fox 9 reported Saturday.

“We found out Friday at lunchtime that we’re not going to be allowed because according to the league our girls were too talented,” coach Jason Hanauska told the station.

RAYBA sent parents a letter that said the main reason for the league's decision was because other teams in the league “do not want to play RAYBA due to the skill level.”

“This is absurd,” parent Sherri Palmgren told the station. “Do we take the (NFL’s) Patriots or Cardinals, who are going to the championship game, and kick them to the curb because they’re too good?”

The league ejected RAYBA just ahead of a showcase tournament this weekend, according to Fox 9.

“Are we supposed to play worse just to make them happy?” team member Tessa McCarthy told the station.

Hanauska is slated to meet with the league’s board Monday.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
When/If I have kids I would never allow them to play in any sort of bullshit league like that. I played youth tackle football through elementary school and sometimes we won and sometimes we lost. Losing sucks, I think that is supposed to be the point of sports as a kid. It's not fun to lose and that's what teaches you to work harder and put forth more effort.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I know nothing about girl's youth basketball programs in Minnesota, but the only way I can see this being a legitimate gripe is if there are higher skilled leagues the girls should be playing in.

I know from my experience in hockey that for each age grouping of play there were various skill levels IE: House / Travel A / Travel AA / Travel AAA. There were teams that would sometimes try to play down an experience level or two just to dominate. There is nothing respectable or that can really be gained from a situation like that in youth sports. I am not saying that is what is happening here, but if it is then that girls team should be moving up to play in a more competitive division.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I know nothing about girl's youth basketball programs in Minnesota, but the only way I can see this being a legitimate gripe is if there are higher skilled leagues they girls should be playing in.

I know from my experience in hockey that for each age grouping of play there were various skill levels IE: House / Travel A / Travel AA / Travel AAA. There were teams that would sometimes try to play down an experience level or two just to dominate. There is nothing respectable or that can really be gained from a situation like that in youth sports. I am not saying that is what is happening here, but if it is then that girls team should be moving up to play in a more competitive division.

Similar experience from travel soccer. I have a hard time believing, even in this current "everyone is a winner" society, that a team would be kicked out of a tournament for being too good. Tournaments, in my experience, are only for travel teams.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I know Huntley schools don't allow you to bring birthday invitations to class unless everybody is invited. Same for valentine's day cards. You have to bring one for everybody or don't bring them at all.

Just wait until my daughter is old enough for school and if Hampshire has a policy like that, watch my daugher not adhere to it since it's a bullshit policy.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I know Huntley schools don't allow you to bring birthday invitations to class unless everybody is invited. Same for valentine's day cards. You have to bring one for everybody or don't bring them at all.

Just wait until my daughter is old enough for school and if Hampshire has a policy like that, watch my daugher not adhere to it since it's a bullshit policy.

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info