Damn sump pump just died!

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
Hey man, go check your discharge line outside, the line could be frozen. That would make the pump run non stop with that noise. It happens to me every year! And mine took a shit today as well, on my 4th in 13 years. Thank god for the lifetime warranty!

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
This past year, I replaced my 30 year old, still working sump pump with a new combo unit from Wayne. The main pump is a 1/2 horse unit and it's absolutely quiet. You need to be standing right next to it to even hear anything.

Home Cheapo sells the lower power units. Here is the 1/3 horse unit. Notice the unique float switch design.

Wayne sump pump

Check for a frozen line first though. I have that happen every year, so I disconnect the main pump and have a small 1/6 horse "winter pump" that pumps into the basement drain as a backup.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Hey man, go check your discharge line outside, the line could be frozen. That would make the pump run non stop with that noise. It happens to me every year! And mine took a shit today as well, on my 4th in 13 years. Thank god for the lifetime warranty!

Had the same issues, but also my problem was the pump was rated to low. Measure your basin and there is a online calculator that tells you what h/p pump/ejector you should have.

I moved up to a 3/4 h/p pump and now going on 4 years no problems.

Menards had the lower cost pumps.

rocco

Addict
Jan 19, 2012
Aurora, IL
This past year, I replaced my 30 year old, still working sump pump with a new combo unit from Wayne. The main pump is a 1/2 horse unit and it's absolutely quiet. You need to be standing right next to it to even hear anything.

Home Cheapo sells the lower power units. Here is the 1/3 horse unit. Notice the unique float switch design.

Wayne sump pump

Check for a frozen line first though. I have that happen every year, so I disconnect the main pump and have a small 1/6 horse "winter pump" that pumps into the basement drain as a backup.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did check the discharge pipe last night and it was clear.

I picked one up from Menards this morning. The brand was Coleman and the float switch is the same design as that Wayne pump you mentioned. I liked how the float switch was made as opposed to the old one that had the tethered kind.

Not too bad of a job. The old one looked like it was pulled from the bottom of of the Titanic. This year has been off to a shitty start.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info