House Project - Is this wall Load Bearing or No?

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
I'm opening up a wall this weekend and I don't believe it's load bearing. Currently, the wall separates the original garage from the rest of the house. Above the garage and this wall is just a pitched roof. I don't have attic access to see, but the second story attic is trusses, i am assuming this section is as well. The wall runs east/west and so do the ceiling joists/trusses.

From the outside, there is no change in roof above the wall, the second story starts about 6 feet over from it. Under the wall is the edge of the basement. (again, this wall separated interior from garage). Above the current door way sized opening in the wall, there is no header above it.

What does the TCG homeowner/framers/architects say?

Here's a pic of the wall in question I had on my phone...

F49D93D1-D6F3-4C6D-8E44-5F8BC2498435_zpsvnne30j0.jpg

Last edited:

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Call an architect and/or a carpenter to be safe. Since you said it separated the original garage from the house there's a chance it does have some load bearing capabilities but you'll have to take out some drywall and investigate to be sure regardless. With the second story being 6 feet away there's a chance it's not load bearing but I doubt having a second floor join the first with a crash is high on your priority list. Even if it is load bearing the worst that you'd need is a beam and a header done and you'll probably need a permit for any work including knocking down the wall.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
im going to guess a header runs the whole wayif that was an exterior wall at some point the stud count makes sense. my bet is to the right of that door opening is a column and possibly midway down that wall is probably another duo/trio of studs before youll find the old corner shear panel.

is there a door opening to the right of that door? possibly with about 6-10" between the jambs? shove an awl through and see if you can tink it against steel....if there's a column there its game on, just put a duo/trio at the left end and open er up. if you find the actual header above that upper framing you can clear span it at the cieling without needing the cosmetic dropdown/soffit

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Got access (made access...) up into the attic space above. All trusses spanning parallel, both sides of this wall. Top plate runs right along bottom of a truss. There's no weight on it.

Going to put in a 6x header anyways as its the easiest option for framing it with the drywall still hanging from the ceiling.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Take out the drywall all the way to the top, want to see if there's a double top plate on it....

Personally I would frame it out like its load bearing just to be sure, especially if you're not concerned with there being a small piece of wall touching the ceiling...

Single top plate.

Crappy pano from up in the attic. Right below that white wire in the top plate, so you can see the truss this wall runs under.

F9C6D9A4-4245-4D2B-B309-5CB249F3DBBE_zpsgmix9osa.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info