Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Regulation of drones in the hands of civilian pilots took a big step forward today. The Federal Aviation Administration announced that all units weighing between 0.55 pounds and 50 pounds must be registered by February 19th, 2016. Anyone caught flying without proper registration after that date could face stiff penalties. The FAA says civil penalties include a fine of up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include a fine of up to $250,000 and up to three years in jail.

The registration will usually include a $5 fee, but the FAA is waiving that for the first 30 days in an effort to encourage participation. It notes that "registrants will need to provide their name, home address and e-mail address. Upon completion of the registration process, the web application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership that will include a unique identification number for the UAS owner, which must be marked on the aircraft." Time to break out those decal packs.

FAA announces drone owners must register by February 19th, 2016 | The Verge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09g6obdiIrc

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Soo...the article is wrong.

It's .55 to 55lbs...anything over 55lbs already needs to be registered.

Anything lower than 250g (.55 lbs) is considered to be below a certain threshold where the risk of kinetic energy impact does not represent a catastrophic risk to life. In the original recommendations by the sUAS Web Registration ARC it displayed a rather laughable, but ultimately convincing to some, consideration of a risk based analysis of anything under .55lbs being low risk. It did not consider speed, but coupled with the 100 mph limit on anything under 55 lbs in the sUAS NPRM 14 CFR 107, there shouldn't be an issue with legality.

The above 55 lbs limit require registering and certification through a different process similar to the experimental aircraft guidance found in AC 23.1309-E, and soon the AC draft that accompanies the NPRM or 21.13B. Ultimately, if you're over 55 lbs you have a different process of compliance which requires registration and number of other safety focused mitigations.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Or 50.1 lbs

55.1* requires a pilot license to fly... yeah, seriously.

Can't say I didn't see something like this coming.... but wtf a $5 registration fee for what? What does that $ go towards? Fattening someone's pockets, or will it actually go to use in studies to improve the respect for this hobby at the government level?

1 million drones expected to be purchased for Christmas this year. That's $5,000,000 in someone's pockets. Some janky "training" is part of the registration process I guess. Cool story bros.

None of which will make the skies any safer. :picard: Gotta love failed policy.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
For real? I'll sell it. Be aware though, it's a first gen so no built in camera

That can be easily added. Shoot me a pm with your price and I may pick it up in a month or so. It's more for tinkering so I'm sure the plastic body and everything will be off it anyways lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info