Wireless router for home - which to buy?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Hey yall, got a friend that needs a new wireless router @ home. What's the best out there lately? I bought a Netgear recently that has been puking out a bit on me, seizing up and whatnot rather randomly under load.

So while I would have said Netgear in the past, I'm not sure I'd suggest one today.

What do you guys suggest?

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Never had a problem with this.

D-Link AC3200

d-link-ac3200-ultra-wi-fi-dir-890lr-router-5725.jpg

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I still need to do this... how much shit does comcast put you through if you buy your own modem and want to return theirs and stop being charged the rental fee?

It was a piece of cake for me. Just got a DOCSIS 3.0 Surfboard, called them up and they took the numbers from it and put it all in....

Now I have one of their modems again to go to the "triple play" to save money as stupid as it sounds.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
But do they give you crap for returning their giant black rental modem if you buy your own from Amazon

They didn't to me. As I said, I simply called them and gave them the numbers on the modem, they added it and it went smooth as possible...

They may try to give you a different package or something like they usually do, but I always look at those as ways to just get the bill lower...

I went with a Motorola 6120 at the time...
sb6120-docsis-3-cable.jpg

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I have a netgear blackhawk or nighthawk. Thing is great compared to my old links 54wrt thing.

Signal coverage is a ton better and speed is nuts.

For a house your size and your usage, I would recommend either the Netgear Nighthawk X6, or the D-Link DIR-890.

If you still want to save some coin and get just as good performance, get the Asus AC68U. Top two are tri-band, Asus is dual-band

I have this nighthawk and its what's giving me reboot issues. It throws some kind of error light and logs nothing, but stops passing traffic. One light does turn amber, so at least you know that its freaked out and needs a restart... but it always seems to happen right at that perfect moment when you need internet... like as you're playing the most intense game online, it locks up.

So frustrating.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
I have this nighthawk and its what's giving me reboot issues. It throws some kind of error light and logs nothing, but stops passing traffic. One light does turn amber, so at least you know that its freaked out and needs a restart... but it always seems to happen right at that perfect moment when you need internet... like as you're playing the most intense game online, it locks up.

So frustrating.
I haven't had any issues. I got a refurbished one too. Got it updated firmware and ran with it.

When I bought I heard of some firmware issues and I was ready to go with tomato whatever ddwrt type of custom stuff they had out but no issues on stock firmware. Covers the whole house,good speeds, wireless prints. I had to reboot maybe twice but that cause of mini blackout in the area.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info