Another police incident caught on tape

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Yup, noise complaint ended in all that. Geez.

UPDATE:
The City of Tuscaloosa tweeted that videos of the arrest have been forwarded to internal affairs.

UPDATE:

The Tuscaloosa Police Department released a statement saying the incident occurred Nov. 8 at 3:19 a.m. and was a result of a loud music call.

"A full investigation of the circumstances that are depicted in these videos will be conducted and all appropriate measures taken to ensure the integrity of the Tuscaloosa Police Department in serving the citizens of Tuscaloosa," the statement read.

UPDATE(12:25 p.m., 11/09/15):

The University released a statement saying they are aware of the incident and are concerned for the welfare of all students, particularly those who were arrested.

"We have reached out to provide support to them, and we will continue to provide services they need," the statement read.

The statement confirmed that three UAPD officers responded to a TPD officer's call for emergency assistance. They are reviewing the officers' actions.

Students who have been impacted, the statement said, should call the University's Counseling Center at 205-348-3863.

UPDATE(3:14 p.m., 11/09/15)

In a press conference held at 2 p.m. Monday, TPD Chief of Police Steven Anderson confirmed that the department would be conducting an internal investigation into the events of the tasing incident on Saturday.

"There was a lot of video that came from the individuals that were inside the apartment, and several of the officers have body cameras, and so we're going over a lot of video footage and so it's gonna take us a while," Anderson said.

Three of the responding officers have already been placed on paid administrative leave in response to the event and will remain on leave until the completion of the investigation, Anderson said. He declined to name the three officers but confirmed that they were the officer who initially responded to the call and the officers who tased and clubbed the male individual in the video.

Anderson asked that the public be patient and allow the department to conduct the investigation.

"What I want [the public] to understand is that we've got a long way to go on this investigation," Anderson said. "Just because we've initially put three officers on administrative leave, by no means means that we're at the end of the investigation, we're done... We're going to be taking a look at the actions of each and every officer that responded to that location to determine if those officers are operating outside of our policies and procedures or outside of law, and that's what we feel like we need to do."

Anderson was unable to give details as to how many officers responded to the incident or how many were wearing body cameras.

UPDATE(5:40 p.m., 11/09/15)

Lt. Teena Richardson of the Tuscaloosa Police Department released a statement naming Matthew Gimlin Macia, 22, Brandon James Williford, 21, and Caroline Elizabeth Giddis, 22, as the students arrested in the incident. Macia is charged with obstructing governmental operations and resisting arrest, Williford is charged with obstructing governmental operations, harrassment and resisting arrest, and Giddis is charged with obstructing governmental operations and harassment.

UPDATE(11:19 a.m., 11/10/15)

Chief Steven D. Anderson of the Tuscaloosa Police Department released a statement naming Officer James Kent, Officer Phillip Champion and Officer Gregory Pimm as the officers placed on administrative leave pending further investigation into their actions.

"For the safety and security of the officers and their families only their names are being released at this time," the release read.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Should give a fuck. The cops shouldn't be walking into homes/apartments without a warrant.

The Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution provides, "[t]he right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

The ultimate goal of this provision is to protect people’s right to privacy and freedom from arbitrary governmental intrusions. Private intrusions not acting in the color of governmental authority are exempted from the Fourth Amendment.

The arrests would have likely never happened had the officer not pushed his way in the door. It'll all get tossed out in court and once civil suits are done, I'm sure the dept will pay out to these folks. Just another waste of taxpayer $ while officers break the rules they're supposed to abide by.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Of course the smallest bitch cop of the bunch has to act like a tough guy and say shut the fuck up , and I don't give a shit.

That's why people don't trust or like cops. Because you get these assholes who get a badge and try to swing their nuts like they are kings of the nation.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'd like to see what happened beforehand to make a judgment call on this. I've had a few times with fireworks when I was a kid, and all the cops did was say keep it down so the neighbors don't call. Possible some people decided to be assholes. Then again why do you need three officers for a noise complaint?

All that for loud music and being a smartass to a cop. If a cop is going to lose his cool over someone being a smartass he has no business being a cop. Its part of the job. Do you really need to bust out a tazer when there are already multiple cops on one man? If every cop acted like that for stupid little calls then you could almost say we are living in a police state. I don't hate cops, we need them but this was just uncalled for.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Should give a fuck. The cops shouldn't be walking into homes/apartments without a warrant.

The arrests would have likely never happened had the officer not pushed his way in the door. It'll all get tossed out in court and once civil suits are done, I'm sure the dept will pay out to these folks. Just another waste of taxpayer $ while officers break the rules they're supposed to abide by.

I won't give a fuck. That video doesn't show the entire story. Who knows what attitudes and other BS could have been said by the people in the apartment. These could also be repeat offenders of having the police called on them for what ever reasons.

Need to see entire videos and read the full story to have a full understanding of what transpired.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Repeat offenders or not, rights are rights. The cop had no reason to be arresting people, he lost his cool and went after one person which spiraled the whole thing out of control... And NO, you shouldn't resist an officer right or wrong, but this cop entered their home without a warrant and was asked to step outside several times. That's flat wrong.

BigJohnson

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2013
Repeat offenders or not, rights are rights. The cop had no reason to be arresting people, he lost his cool and went after one person which spiraled the whole thing out of control... And NO, you shouldn't resist an officer right or wrong, but this cop entered their home without a warrant and was asked to step outside several times. That's flat wrong.

You don't need a warrant if they witness a crime being committed. Or if the person opens the door. Which they did. And who knows what was going on. The whole place could have stunk of weed and there goes the need for a warrant. Or he could simply say he thought there was underage drinking and they wouldn't provide Ids when asked then became combative. There is a million ifs though. Just saying you can easily get away with no warrant

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
You don't need a warrant if they witness a crime being committed. Or if the person opens the door. Which they did. And who knows what was going on. The whole place could have stunk of weed and there goes the need for a warrant. Or he could simply say he thought there was underage drinking and they wouldn't provide Ids when asked then became combative. There is a million ifs though. Just saying you can easily get away with no warrant

Hmm. "Get away with". Implies to me he is stretching or breaking the law and violating peoples rights. Correct, we don't have the whole video. But that cop IMHO let things get way out of hand at his own doing.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

What's to say the guy didn't pimp slap the cop at a point before they clipped the video. Think about it this way, is reality TV really as dramatic as they show it to be or is a lot of that the modern magic of editing?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Just based on what was in the video, it appears that it's yet another incident of a cop escalating a situation as an excuse to commit violence against a citizen. Add in violating civil rights by entering the house without permission (they repeatedly told him to get out) and also assault.

Now it's true we didn't see what happened before the video, so what we see is all we have to go on. But from what I saw, that cop should have had his fucking teeth kicked in.

But there seems to be an issue with cops these days that instead of de-escalating a situation, they purposely do the opposite to CREATE trouble and violence.

Those kids obviously don't know the rule "Do not EVER open the door if there are cops on the other side".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info