Job Opportunity

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Okay, so a potential job opportunity presented itself and I’m looking to see what everyone here thinks. It is a great opportunity with an established Japanese owned company based here in IL. I’ll try to list out the pros and cons as I see them. I already know the financial rewards are huge but money isn’t everything as “they” say. Ask anything or say whatever you think as I'm looking at this from both angles.

Pros –
1. 25-30%+ pay increase
2. Excellent 401k with a 5.5% increase in the employer contribution
3. Vested in Medical benefits at age 55 if employed for 10 years (I’m almost 40 now)
4. Bonus will double from current percentage
5. Flexible alternative working schedule; e.g. 9/80 Days (every other Friday off, work from home, etc.)
6. Winter shut down for 1-2 weeks (my current employer doesn’t do this)
7. The company isn’t publically traded so there are no stock options. Instead they give you points every year that are vested every three years of when received. This means a substantial secondary bonus every three years.
8. Everyone who knows the hiring Director over there says he is an awesome guy and easy to get along with.

Cons –
1. My 5 minute commute goes to at least one hour if not more each way.
2. I’ve been with my current employer for 10 years. I have tons of history with this company and my position is very cush. I have a lot of clout here due to my involvement in several highly visible projects.
3. I lose one week of vacation and getting extra vacation time isn’t negotiable.
4. I’ll have to pay for the train, parking, and/or gas for the longer commute which will also make my mileage go up substantially.
5. I’m underqualified educationally but am still being considered because of my experience. It isn’t a definite in with this company but I have a ton of old colleagues there who all think it is a great fit for my skillset due to the company’s needs.
6. I don’t have any direct reports now (don’t want any) and I’ll be managing a team in the new role.
7. It is a smaller company which allows for the possibility of a buyout. I’m told that Japanese owned companies typically aren’t purchased because of the business’s core beliefs. Also, it isn’t publically traded so no shareholders to please.
8. It is a newly developed position without a clear job description.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
It sounds worth the risk to me, especially if you have former coworkers there to vouch for the company. Leave where you're at now on good terms. If they've given you a formal job offer and are willing to accept it, bring it up to your current employer and you may be able to get them to match or surpass what you're being offered.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
How much does your current employer like you? Have you considered bringing this to the table with them to see if they will counter to keep you?

Exactly my thought.

I'd honestly negotiate a raise or matching what the other job is offering at your current company before fully considering the other job. Taking the train every day and even dealing with a 10-15 minute drive to and from the train station is aggravating enough. The increase in gas costs as well as the train ticket every week/month alone would eat up a good chunk of your raise pending what the actual dollar value is.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I think I'm well liked by my currently employer but with the company splitting in July and recent lay offs everyone here is nervous. I have thought about bringing back any formal offer to my employer to see what they say but need to get there first.

The train station is roughly 10 minutes from my house with minimal traffic. The cost for parking and the train is minimal compared to the raise so that really isn't a factor even though I listed as a con. I'm more concerned about the driving mileage if I decide the train isn't for me.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I would be nervous only because of the educational thing you mentioned. I am not calling you dumb so don't take it that way, but I would look for things down the road. Would you be passed up for promotions because some younger kid has degrees? Look at the overall age of the people that work there when you walk around etc.

I am young. (26 years old) and I have been promoted twice already and have gotten significant raises being at my company only 3 years. They pass over old timers and go for us new people because we have bachelor and masters degrees and are the "future" of the company.

Keep that in mind

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Oh and that whole "see if your current employer will match the salary thing?"

Good luck. If you work for a large corporation that crap has to be approved by HR. A manager telling HR they want to give you a 30% raise because some other company would will not fly. HR will turn down that stuff in a heart beat and you will most likely be out of a job. Most jobs have salary ranges, and they are not just going to throw thousands at you to stay.

Everyone and anyone is replaceable.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I would be nervous only because of the educational thing you mentioned.

They pass over old timers and go for us new people because we have bachelor and masters degrees and are the "future" of the company.

I face the same issue whether I stay here or go there. I need the advanced degree to get promoted here based on the new regime of upper management. If I got this job I'd be given a chance based on experience (not a concern) and they'd pay for my continued education.

Good luck. If you work for a large corporation that crap has to be approved by HR. A manager telling HR they want to give you a 30% raise because some other company would will not fly. HR will turn down that stuff in a heart beat and you will most likely be out of a job. Most jobs have salary ranges, and they are not just going to throw thousands at you to stay.

Everyone and anyone is replaceable.

I agree and understand this completely. It has happened here before with a few people I work with who wanted to leave. They didn't match the salary 1:1 but gave a substantial raise to entice the person to say. I wouldn't be fired because I explored opportunities and it would be more like a take it or leave it type of offer.

25% raise and a 110% longer commute, yuck.

I make good money so we're talking thousands of dollars a month more.

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
It depends on how much cush your current job has and how much you enjoy that. If your job will get substantially more complex and involved, along with a substantially longer commute....that could be a problem for some.

I would take the cush job, extra week of vacation and where I'm not in the car for 2+ hours a day.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
A bunch of old colleagues moved to this company and their only regret is that they didn't do it sooner. The only things that suck are the commute and starting over.

I will say that starting over isn't the worse deal ever. It's a double edged sword. It gives you a chance to expand your reputation as an SME with a broader scope of things.

I will say the lack of definition in the position is an issue. I've been dealing with that in this position and it sucks. It's flat out bad for morale.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
If you'd need a degree to move up either place I'd look at taking the job of your looking to make more money. That being said if money is the goal you can try and use this place to get a bump from the current job.

However.

If your current job offered you more to stay my only concern is..... How long have they been holding out with the $$$.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm educationally under-qualified for my current position, make a comfortable salary, have been promoted significantly twice in the past 5 and a half years, AND am considered extremely good at my role. But I'd expect 10-20% more if I had the appropriate degrees.

I often wonder if I could 'jump ship' for that extra 10-20% without needing a degree just because I have the experience in the position now, but personally am not considering it until after I have at least 5 years in my current position (only at the 2 year mark).

From what you described (Company might be dissolving where you are at), I'd absolutely make the jump, let alone over the significant increase in pay.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
What are the top 3 things you enjoy about your employment?

Is it salary, commute, being challenged, new skillsets etc.? The answers to these is what you should base your decision on. Even though you listed your pro's con's that doesn't weigh in on what is most important to you. In short what makes you happy to go to work each day.

Being happy with your job is extremely important, if the money is what does it then it's a no brainier. But if the commute is going to be a problem, then no matter what you make it wont ever make you happy and you will end up looking for other employment.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Side note, my commute to the city door to door is nearly an hour and 20 minutes each way.

Doesn't bother me, I've had a tablet since my second year of commuting and watch TV series, movies, read the boards, etc, etc. actually gives me time to wake up and unwind every day to be honest.

That being said, I'd take a 10% pay hit in a heart beat for a 5 minute commute, but not a 20-30% one

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
What are the top 3 things you enjoy about your employment?

Is it salary, commute, being challenged, new skillsets etc.? The answers to these is what you should base your decision on. Even though you listed your pro's con's that doesn't weigh in on what is most important to you. In short what makes you happy to go to work each day.

Being happy with your job is extremely important, if the money is what does it then it's a no brainier. But if the commute is going to be a problem, then no matter what you make it wont ever make you happy and you will end up looking for other employment.

I enjoy the flexibility I have but think I'm bored. There are challenges but things are moving slowly now and I can't say I'm a big fan of my new boss. I mean most would love the guy but you can tell he wants to micromanage. He also doesn't know what he thinks he knows. He is super flexible with me and values my input but I'm tired of making him look good.

I've always had a long commute so definitely enjoy what I have now. That said, I can't get too comfortable with it if I want to advance in my career or be able to retire before I'm 60 like the current plan is.

This position would be more of a challenge and I think it could be exciting. I can take the train and they have a shuttle so it shouldn't be a problem. There are several people I know who live where I do and make the commute and are fine. Not one person complains who is there and the motto basically is to come in, do your job, contribute, yada yada. There is no micromanaging and they haven't had lay offs because they already run lean.

The hiring director lives right near me so I think we're meeting for a beer and a no pressure conversation. My one close friend pressuring me to go after the job is on the interview panel and says I'm a sure shot as long as I get passed HR. I was against it for a while because of the commute but the benefits and career growth are something I'm realizing I shouldn't pass up.

Coming from someone who worked from home and now works an hour away, I wouldn't trade being close to home for any small to medium raise. The commute is brutal and I hate every minute of it.

Oh, I hear ya man, and I completely understand. I think one of the big reasons I'm seriously considering it now is because of the recent layoffs we had. If I was ever impacted I'd have no other choice but to commute because of what I do. There aren't any other Pharma companies out here in Round Lake. The commute will suck but it isn't anything I can't get used to. I'm lucky to say I have a one mile commute now and not many can say the same thing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info