Emissions testing while you drive?

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I used to work for Envirotest when they had the contract here in Illinois. Then they lost it to Applus Technologies who is still doing the testing to this day.

I believe they were using the remote sensing in Missouri already and if your car failed you would just get a notice that you had to take it in to get tested....

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
This is just a sensor they put on on/off ramps that will measure the exhaust of the car then flag the plate so they would get a notice in the mail to get their car tested...

Eventually there will be no need for this as cars get cleaner though and older cars come off the road. When I first started at Envirotest in 1998 we implemented the IM240 program with the dynomometer where they ran every car on it in order to check for emissions. Then as more checks became based on OBD scanning the percentage of cars being tested on the dyno because basically none so we blocked off the dynomometers and stopped testing cars older than 1996.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
When I first started at Envirotest in 1998 we implemented the IM240 program with the dynomometer where they ran every car on it in order to check for emissions.

I remember them doing this in IL. The first time I had to get an emissions test with my brand new Mustang GT, they put the front wheels on the dyno. I had to correct them.

Not the brightest bunch.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I remember them doing this in IL. The first time I had to get an emissions test with my brand new Mustang GT, they put the front wheels on the dyno. I had to correct them.

Not the brightest bunch.

All the dynos came from the Texas program, I had to break them all down, clean them, paint them, reassemble them, and then install them at the stations. Keeping them up and running was a huge PITA, it was the happiest day of my 10+ years working there when we stopped using them. :rofl:

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Only good thing Illinois has ever done. I LOVE MY OLD CARS!!! :D

I love it too. I used to take my Cobra in with the off road pipes on it to fail the test miserably the first time around, then put the stock h-pipe back in it so even if I failed it would show a vast improvement so hopefully I would've been able to become exempt.

Still think I should've been able to be exempt just because I worked there. :bowrofl:

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
I love it too. I used to take my Cobra in with the off road pipes on it to fail the test miserably the first time around, then put the stock h-pipe back in it so even if I failed it would show a vast improvement so hopefully I would've been able to become exempt.

Still think I should've been able to be exempt just because I worked there. :bowrofl:
LOL! I had a buddy that worked there and we both worried my GP would have failed if run on the dyno back when it had the 3.1 in it, so he did some kind of "wheel exemption" for my low profile tires and chrome wheels, and we just did an idle test instead.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
LOL! I had a buddy that worked there and we both worried my GP would have failed if run on the dyno back when it had the 3.1 in it, so he did some kind of "wheel exemption" for my low profile tires and chrome wheels, and we just did an idle test instead.

Was he at the Streamwood station?

I started my day at the Streamwood station, but I was the senior facility technician so I was in charge of all 28 stations around Chicago so I was driving the majority of my day.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
LOL! Took me 31 years before I left Streamwood. When I left my parent's house, I went next door. Literally.

The house next door to my parents house is actually on the market and I'm looking at possibly renting out my place to family and buying that house. I figure I usually help out and snowthrow the neighbors driveway already, might as well be my retired Dad's and Mom's house instead. :bowrofl:

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
The streamwood test station cooked my S10 engine years ago. It was all new to me/them then. Sadly if you drive in then they try to go 50-55 whatever was called for, with the truck in reverse. Plus bouncing off the limiter with no external fan and only one wheel chock. Filled the dyno with puked coolant. Got so hot it melted the pickup wires in the distributor. They pushed it out. Speaking of that I wonder where my class action lawsuit money is?

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
The streamwood test station cooked my S10 engine years ago. It was all new to me/them then. Sadly if you drive in then they try to go 50-55 whatever was called for, with the truck in reverse. Plus bouncing off the limiter with no external fan and only one wheel chock. Filled the dyno with puked coolant. Got so hot it melted the pickup wires in the distributor. They pushed it out. Speaking of that I wonder where my class action lawsuit money is?

Highest peak was 58 at the top of the second stage of testing. Majority of cars passed before going to the second stage of the test...

Surprised they didn't have a fan in front of it, there were Hartzell fans in every lane they're supposed to put in front of the car....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info