A or B?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Most of what you guys are complaining about would be on B as well. The steps that tell what we're about will be there. The graphics you see would just replace the blue band with the text input boxes on the page most of you prefer.

So all that info would be on B.

B has a picture of a county fair or something...which makes no sense.

Doesn't matter. You could put up a picture of a monkey tossing poop and it wouldn't matter. It's what's popular in web design right now. I could change it to something more video related but really it doesn't matter. Once you dive into websites and look at the backgrounds some huge companies are using you realize that you don't really pay attention to it and really often they're using colorful images that have nothing to do with their core business.

And the page looks like the home for Paypal rather than your own site.

That's actually what I'm going for. Well, not Paypal necessarily but other sites like that that are using modern design. Our problem isn't necessarily what is better as far as clearly conveying information but more what looks modern and professional.

at A i immediately know what the site is about

at B i have no idea what the site is about
probably tesla

Just to be clear, and I did a poor job of that in the first post, what you see on B replaced ONLY the blue area on page A. Everything else from page A, including the explanations, would be there.

Also, I'm still not a fan of your site name. It has nothing to do with photography hardware sales. But maybe you explained the reasoning before.

You're alone on that one. People compliment the name all the time. The intent there was something that would a.) be fun and b.) wouldn't limit us to one particular niche. My first company was Midwest SHO. It sold parts for Taurus SHOs. My second company was W Body Store. At one point I had intentions of expanding that company to other bigger markets and so we made the decision to change the name to WBS Performance. That went over really poorly. It confused the hell out of people and never took off.

In talking with others and their experiences with the same problems I told myself I'd never make the mistake of naming a business for a specific niche again. As it sits, when we expand this to other broader markets outside of pro video gear we can do so seamlessly.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The explanation makes sense for the name.

The rest kind of comes off as arrogant...in that you dont really care what we had to say. We all gave you our opinion and you picked each one apart :rofl:

We all echoed that B looks like crap (harsh word) and you proceeded to tell us that its the standard for companies....we would be the customer (or focus group) in this situation and we all agreed it makes no sense :dunno:

Trying to watch TWD and post at the same time...will clean up this post later.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The explanation makes sense for the name.

The rest kind of comes off as arrogant...in that you dont really care what we had to say. We all gave you our opinion and you picked each one apart :rofl:

We all echoed that B looks like crap (harsh word) and you proceeded to tell us that its the standard for companies....we would be the customer in this situation and we all agreed it makes no sense :dunno:

Yeah I understand what you're saying. The problem is that B is modeled off of popular, established websites and A. is, well... information. Text on a screen doesn't keep people on a page. Colors, small bits of easily digestible information, etc do. What people say they want and what actually keeps people on a page are two vastly different things. That's why I was curious to get the opinions of you guys versus people that design for a living.

Web designers looked at the two and pretty much unanimously agreed that B was a huge improvement and that combined with the info from A, would be the best of both.

I was kind of curious of what others thought. Likewise, I didn't divulge in the first post that the info from A would be carried over to B so I wanted to make sure that that was clear.

At the end of the day, B (or some very close variation of it) is the new page. So that went over well! :rofl:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I did and the question stands. It's your site so do what you want. A is the better of the two sites shown.

You didn't read my post then. People that do this for a living say that B is the better page combined with the information from A. I knew that going into the post but wanted to see what you guys had to say.

You don't see many professional sites that look like A. You see plenty that look like B. There's a reason for that I presume. :)

If you are going to make changes later, make them then post them up.

Fair point. I did a poor job of explaining what would be on B as well as explaining what context people would be seeing the page in.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The reason being that "experts" like a certain type of site. You asked normal people here and we predominantly liked the format of A better. If you want your site to look like B, incorporate the pic and info from A into it and you should have the best of both worlds.

IMO, people are visually driven now-a-days. You need pics showing what you sell to grab peoples' attention. Reading is getting to be a lost art.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The reason being that "experts" like a certain type of site. You asked normal people here and we predominantly liked the format of A better.

Experts like what works because what works sells and companies with budgets exponentially larger than mine have marketing people that study fonts people find pleasing, colors, layouts, etc. By and large you don't see sites like A and the reason for that is the same reason you go on to say:

IMO, people are visually driven now-a-days. You need pics showing what you sell to grab peoples' attention. Reading is getting to be a lost art.

There's too many words, too many long sentences, and not enough pretty stuff to look at. B solves that by a) looking more professional, b) Offering up easily digestible bits of information in the form of shorter sentences and c) adding up some pretty pictures.

Also, that page isn't selling you anything. If/ when you found that page you'd already know what we do and why you were on that page. That's not a home page or a landing page. I'm not sure if anyone thought it was but it's not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info