Recommend me a new home theater receiver

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Lightning struck my apartment building and I think cashed the HDMI output or video module on my current Sony home theater reciever. Sound still works, but no video on any input. Looks like I've got a new garage reciever.

Well that means I need a new home theater reciever. I'm no audiophile, but I prefer something that is not complete garbage. Not looking for a $1000 receiver, looking in the $100-200 range, at least 5.1, and at minimum 3 HDMI inputs with pass-thru. Doesn't need to be 4k ready. Already have a 5.1 Infinity speaker system with powered woofer. Open to different brands, but usually prefer Sony, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I have an Onkyo TSX-607, pretty happy with it. I had a 605 before, but it only had 2 HDMI inputs, and that became a problem.

Receivers are something that usually is pretty safe when bought used, so you could score a used slightly older, higher-end receiver for decent money.

Otherwise I'd be looking at the $300-$450 for the cheaper end receivers. Those should have almost all the modern features, and decent quality.

I second Onkyo or Denon. Though I hate the default Onkyo remote. Looks like a monkey designed it.

I also never had any issues with Pioneer receivers. Not the greatest, but still worked for many years. In fact, it never stopped working, I just gave it away.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Id spend a few bucks more and get one you can network also.

Definitely the future. Though, right now streaming set-top boxes are evolving fast, so no real standards have been set. The Roku3 is nice. Who knows how long these Smart TV's and other things will remain compatible with the major streaming services.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Dont know anything about this one so maybe do some research, but it is cheap and seems to meet your requirements. Act fast tho, wont be there tomorrow.

https://meh.com/

Hmmmmm...interesting....wasn't looking at Pioneer, but I don't see anything blatantly wrong with it....one of the reviews on Amazon mentioned the lack of Consumer Electronic Control integration on this model. How much that will matter, I don't know.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I picked up a refurbished Yamaha RX-A740 AVENTAGE about a year ago and the thing sounds fucking awesome. I think the A740 is the lowest end model of their top-of-the-line receivers. It's a $700 receiver for about $400. There is nothing to fear from a refurbished model. Mine looked like brand new when I took it out of the box and even still had the plastic protective film over all the parts. It was totally worth it, sounds incredible and has a shit-ton of features.

Check this out:
YAMAHA RX-A740 7.2 Network AVENTAGE AV Receiver Wi-Fi/AirPlay | Accessories4less

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info