Farmer's Almanac predicts harsh, cold winter

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
What this really means: It's going to be a warmer than average winter.

Farmer's Almanac predicts harsh, cold winter | abc7chicago.com

Monday, August 17, 2015 04:55PM
Get your coats and scarves ready, because a harsh winter may be coming your way.

The Old Farmer's Almanac forecasts a harsh and snowy winter for much of the country in 2015.

The Almanac's forecasting formula for predicting winter weather has been a well-kept secret, ever since the editor Robert B. Thomas oversaw the publishing of the original almanac in 1792. The Farmer's Almanac claims it has been 80 percent successful in predicting winter weather since that time, although it didn't accurately predict last year's massive amount of snowfall in the Boston-area or high temperatures in California.

This year's almanac predicts that the U.S. should prepare for very cold temperatures and lots of snow this upcoming winter, according to the Associated Press. The Pacific Northwest region is also expected to get heavy amounts of snow, with the biggest snowfalls occurring in mid-December, early to mid-January and early February.

"Just about everybody who gets snow will have a White Christmas in one capacity or another," editor Janice Stillman told AP.

Residents in the Northeast can expect more snowfall and lower temperatures, while those in the Midwest parts of the country can expect less snowfall but lower-than normal temperatures.

While residents in Southern California have been bracing for a massive, once-in-a-generation El Nino, the Farmer's Almanac warns readers to be skeptical of the size and severity of the storms this El Nino will bring. Still, the almanac says that there will be above-normal rainfall the first half of winter in California.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'll join this squad with my beastly 2004 SX viper :fy:

Title-Whippet-Profile.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
y u do dis kayjay

Are you jealous of our fun because you sold your super-awesome-fun-time-quicker-than-Panda's-stock-GTP-Ptek 800?

honestly, it's just tough to justify.

money-wise mainly.

i mean just think about one trip somewhere...

first you have your $10,000 snowmobile...

then you probably need something a bit beastlier to pull it wherever you are going.... and a trailer... and then let's say you've got all the things you need to go.

cool.

now, hopefully the weekend you took off work to go somewhere, there is snow where you are going.

let's say hayward wisconsin. 364 miles away. 728 miles round trip- (without driving around in town or whatever)

728/11mpg towing= 66 gallons (maybe more, maybe less... it's cold as balls, trailers are like pulling parachutes, etc...)

66 gallons in fuel * 3.19 (who knows what gas will be up or down this winter...) $211.12 in fuel. just to get there.

my sled got around 11-13 mpg. typically. and we would ride 150-200 miles per day... easily... but it needs premium... so 3.49 a gallon at minimum... ~$30 in fuel... 3 days straight...

k. fuel costs alone, $300.

you're going to stop at neon signs. (that's really the only way to own a snowmobile right?) let's say you stop just for lunch & dinner, and maybe 2-3 other bars along the way to um. refuel... lets' just call it an easy $100 a day in food/drinks...

oh wait. we still haven't afforded the hotel/cabin/lodge/tent/cave or whatever the fuck we are staying in.

oh and the oil your sled uses is like 32 bucks a fucking jug :rofl:....

so let's just overall, say it costs, every bit of $750-850 a long weekend to go ride somewhere. that's without getting into room costs (plenty of cabins/houses etc to stay at of my friends and family) or sled maintenance/clothing/etc.

just a silly hobby to do 3-4 times a year and sit looking at a sled that costs more than 1/2 the cars on here. (do right... riding around here sucks ass and is bullshit, ditchbanging 50 miles a day here just beats the piss out of you and your gear, i think i can count on two hands the number of times in the 15 years i owned a snowmobile how many times the trails here were "good")

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
to me, it seems like [MENTION=11522]CuzzinOlaf[/MENTION] is the only bro on tcg snowmobiling "right"

his whole setup where they left the sleds up north, all split a cheap townhome in the UP where there was ALWAYS snow, and get up as often as possible- every other weekend or every single if possible, would be the way to do it if i were to get back into it hard.

i guess also what im saying, is fuck. yes, i miss the fuck out of it. but want to get water house/boat(s) before i get back into it...

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I do want to go up to the UP at some point but I know [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] enjoys his stock ass trails in Rhinelander/Eagle River area. Guess I'm going to see what the "Detroit Ditchbangers" do in the winter this year after seeing the shenanigans of summer. :rofl:

kayjay being a bigger jew than Mook.snip

Yeah. Welcome to having any kind of hobby. I have a bunch of them.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I do want to go up to the UP at some point but I know [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] enjoys his stock ass trails in Rhinelander/Eagle River area. Guess I'm going to see what the "Detroit Ditchbangers" do in the winter this year after seeing the shenanigans of summer. :rofl:

Yeah. Welcome to having any kind of hobby. I have a bunch of them.

who's detroit ditchbangers?

and cheap? not hardly. just i'd rather poor money down a hole that floats than one that melts. there's going to be water here next summer, all summer.

there is a really good chance there might not be snow this winter though.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
who's detroit ditchbangers?

and cheap? not hardly. just i'd rather poor money down a hole that floats than one that melts. there's going to be water here next summer, all summer.

there is a really good chance there might not be snow this winter though.

Jeff Lemke and all the guys Frank and I met at the event we did a month or so ago.

I never said any of it was cheap. :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info