Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Unfuckingreal :rofl: :rofl:

Apple Removes All American Civil War Games From the App Store Because of the Confederate Flag | Touch Arcade

Now, it appears that Apple has decided to join them by pulling many Civil War wargames from the App Store. As of the writing of this story, games like Ultimate General: Gettysburg and all the Hunted Cow Civil War games are nowhere to be found.

Apple's Tim Cook has recently spoke against displaying the Confederate flag, so I suppose this development was to be expected. However, censoring historical games (if that is indeed the reason why the game's have been pulled) is always very tricky because those games don't glorify or promote a cause but, rather, represent historical events using the symbols and insignia of the period.

Update: It's looking like Apple has pulled everything from the App Store that features a Confederate flag, regardless of context. The reasoning Apple is sending developers is "...because it includes images of the confederate flag used in offensive and mean-spirited ways." We just spoke with Andrew from HexWar Games, who have released many historical strategy games. He insists, "We're in no way sympathetic to the use of the flag in an offensive way, we used it purely because historically that was the flag that was used at the time."

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
We are watching, in real time, the washing of American history to appease the dipshit masses and race baiters. I'd highly recommend having a way to properly defend yourself as a precaution. It's only going to continue to get worse. Obama said he was going to fundamentally change America. And he has succeeded, although indirectly, by fueling racial tensions.

Next on the chopping block: The American flag because there are pictures of the KKK holding the nation's flag outside DC.

l0wb00st

Overbuild It, Or Don't Build It
Jan 29, 2012
NW Suburbs
We have to wash away American history, Carter, because there was slavery in American history and our "fearless leader" doesn't want the "urban" children to have to relive the terrible events of America's history. He's doing it for the children...show some damn respect for what that "great man" is trying to do....

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
From the Gettysburg team -

As you may have been already informed (Read Facebook link), Apple has removed our game from AppStore because of usage of the Confederate Flag. Ultimate General: Gettysburg could be accepted back if the flag is removed from the game's content.

We accept Apple's decision and understand that this is a sensitive issue for the American Nation. We wanted our game to be the most accurate, historical, playable reference of the Battle of Gettysburg. All historical commanders, unit composition and weaponry, key geographical locations to the smallest streams or farms are recreated in our game's battlefield.

We receive a lot of letters of gratitude from American teachers who use our game in history curriculum to let kids experience one of the most important battles in American history from the Commander's perspective.

Spielberg’s "Schindler's List" did not try to amend his movie to look more comfortable. The historical "Gettysburg" movie (1993) is still on iTunes. We believe that all historical art forms: books, movies, or games such as ours, help to learn and understand history, depicting events as they were. True stories are more important to us than money.

Therefore we are not going to amend the game's content and Ultimate General: Gettysburg will no longer be available on AppStore. We really hope that Apple’s decision will achieve the desired results.

We can’t change history, but we can change the future.

The Game-Labs Team

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
idiocracy.jpg

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
wait.... an American Civil War era game that has a Confederate flag in it? You don't say! I guess that means all US history books with the flag should be banned too.

Apple, while you are on the PC police bandwagon, you should also remove each song from iTunes that uses the N word. Oh wait, false equivalence. Carry on.

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
From the Gettysburg team -

I think the Game Lab guys have good points. I absolutely agree that government, at any level, should not display the flag of the Confederacy. Having said that, it is part of our history and cannot be denied. Making believe it never happened is not the answer. It should be exposed for what it was and represents even today. Then there is a 1st Amendment issue IMO.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Im against the flying of this shit at capital buildings or on businesses like people have been complaining about, but if someone wants to buy it and there's a market for it, that's 'Murika. Supply and demand. Forcing all of it off the shelves is completely crossing the line and unAmerican. Don't tell me what I can and can't buy.

The civil war was over 150 years ago and the confederates lost, so if you like flying loser flags across your home or property, be my guest. I don't buy into the symbolism crap. People still sport Swastikas around too, where's the outrage for that.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
This annoys me to a great deal. The confederate flag is far from a symbol of the best part of the history of our country, but none the less it is part of our history.

When displayed within context (such as a historically accurate Civil War game it should be allowable. Within the realm of free speech it should be allowable (not really in good taste) too, but as said not something that the government displays any more except in a historical context such as a museum. This is the US afterall and the CSA fell during the Civil War.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info