What kind of surround system do you have?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I slightly downgraded my receiver as my last one burnt out.

Sharp 80in
Onkyo 636
Polk Monitor 50 towers
Polk PSW50 sub
Polk CS2 center
Cheap Onkyo rears
Onkyo 410 atmos highs / fronts

Ive been really wanting to upgrade for awhile as this setup (sans the receiver and the atmos speakers) are from 09....but it gets costly and what I have works fine, especially now that Ive got it really well balanced and calibrated. Maybe next year.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I wish something would burn out on my Sony receiver so I could upgrade. THese damn things run forever. Ive had this thing for probably at least 8 years or so. Doesnt even have HDMI pass thrus. I do hope my 400w 12" JBL sub keeps running forever tho. I love this thing. When it hits, it feels like somethings hitting you in the chest, and also it sometimes makes the walls creak :rofl:

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
:spot:

Onkyo TX-NR838 driving these bad boys, big sound but takes up big space

Klipsch RF-7 II
Reference-RF-7II-family-black-lifestyleII_635043089596120000_medium.jpg

Klipsch R-115SW
x714R115SW-o_front.jpg

Coming from this :rofl:

310JKJR072L.jpg

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
Pretty basic setup

LG 60" Plasma
Lexicon RV-8 pre amp and amp combo in 5.1 mode
B&W 684 series front and center
Polk surrounds in ceiling (forget series #)
Velodyne Optimum 10 powered sub
Monster power line conditioner

Sound quality is excellent. Amp delivers 140 watts so range is good. The velodyne is a juggernaut, at 1200 rms watts. I keep it dialed way back for balance, but when I want to wreck shit I bump it up a few db.

The pre amp doesn't handle HDMI well so I wire direct for video, and utilize coax digital for audio from devices. Adjust sync and its good to go.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
60" Samsung LED LCD
Onkyo 608
Cerwin-Vega E312s, and Infinity US-1 for DPL "High/wide"
Crappy sony surround and center
Velodyne CT-120 sub.

I really need to take care of the center and surrounds, they suck. The Velodyne sub is damned fine. And I've tried to get rid of the Cerwin-Vega E312s to save some floor space. But I invariably put them back as the main front speakers.

Its not audiophile, but with a good EQ setting it makes movies very enjoyable.

Its not like i can turn up the jams that much anyways living in an apartment before I piss of neighbors.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
73" DLP Mitsubishi

I run 7.1 front height, which means I run 5 channels through the bar and 2 through the rears and then the sub.

Receiver Marantz SR5006 - Would not buy again
c26-sr5006-2-l.jpg

Front Formula FH56-BAR - Yes!
bic_fh56sb.jpg

Sub Formula F-12 - Yes!
F-12.jpg

Rear 8" Sonance In wall speakers, not sure of the model but bigger than I need - Yes!

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
my stuff is all old.

42" Panasonic plasma going on 11yrs old
Harmon kardon receiver
all HTD level 2 speakers
HSU research VTF-2 subwoofer

any sort of home theater in a box setup is garbage. better than out of the TV sound but not anywhere near the quality of a "real" setup. You're looking at anywhere from $800-100,000+

onkyo sells a box type setup with all individual components. That'd be the best place to start before you dump a pile of money.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Really I would take a long hard look at a soundbar and if that doesn't meet your needs skip the home theatre in the box.

How many inputs will you have and what sized room are you putting this in?

Sharp 65 inch LED that I picked up for 300 bucks for daytime
Sanyo 1080P Projector to an 88 inch screen for movies/night time.

I personally am running Onkyo tr606 (super old at this point and HDMI is slowly going bad)
Kef model 104's which are older then me and better for music as front L/R
Polk audio center stage
Random infinity rears
Paradigm PW-2200 500 watt sub that just outshines the rest of what I have.

I really want to build speakers to keep up with the sub that are all the same drivers etc but car stuff always takes the higher priority.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Emerson, I think it was you who I was discussing speaker positioning and such way back when. Earlier this year I moved my sub to the corner of my living room (I know, its extremely hit or miss) but I was extremely pleased w/ the outcome. The bass is no longer localized in the room and fills the area nicely. Best thing I could have done for my setup.

I also got a SPL reader and calibrated everything. Its still not perfect as my hearing is not what one would call "good" but the difference was still very noticeable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info