$1000 fine for left lane campers

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Good. Left lane campers infuriate me while driving and they should be punished accordingly. Slower traffic keep right, why is that such a difficult concept.

Driving in left lane laws could land motorists with fine or misdemeanor charge - CBS News

Clueless drivers across the country are getting pulled over -- not for speeding, but for going too slow in the passing lane, reports CBS News correspondent Adriana Diaz.

Indiana is the latest state to begin penalizing drivers for holding up traffic in the left lane. When its new law begins next month, drivers could get tickets for as much as $500.

In Chicago, if you don't keep up the pace while driving in the left lane you could be slapped with a $1,000 fine and multiple-time offenders can be charged with a misdemeanor.

In New Jersey, the fine for the offense went up to a maximum of $300 two years ago.

"We focus on the most aggressive drivers out there," NJ State Police Lt. Col. Patrick Callahan said. "I would agree going 90 is more dangerous than going 50, but doing 50 does come with some concern and some consequences."

At least 38 states have laws in place to fine for lingering in the left lane. In five states, fines can reach $1000 and 22 states classify the violation as a misdemeanor.

"Just like you should be fined for going too fast, you should be fined for going too slow," one driver said.

"I think it's about time. People need to move over," another said.

"When you have people just drive anywhere, it is chaos on the roadway," New Jersey State Assemblyman Declan O'Scanlon said.

He pushed for the state's law in order or to reduce accidents and anger on the road.

"One of the chief causes of road rage is people's failure to obey this very simple rule," he said.

Contrary to how some drivers use it, the left lane is not the "fast lane."

"You should be passing using the left lane," O'Scanlon said. "This is not a minor offence. When you cause people to change lanes more frequently or to pass people on the right, that is when you get the most severe accidents."

Enforcing the law in New Jersey is largely up to state troopers and Callahan said not all left-leaning drivers are targeted.

"It's those cars that are really obstructing the flow of traffic out there, sometimes even driving under the speed limit. That's who troopers are looking for, that vehicle and that driver that's really failing to keep right as they should," Callahan said.

Although slow driving in the left lane can cause frustration, it's not the primary cause of road rage. A recent survey found texting came was number one followed, by tailgating. The "left lane hog" came in third.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Feel like it's a lose lose situation. Keep up with traffic and possibly be hit with a speeding ticket for those asshole cops who sit on the highways during rush hour clocking speeds. Or get hit with a big fine for driving to slow. (Kind grey area as far as to slow) if someone wants to do 80 in a 65. And you are doing 70-75 are you a lane squatter? Who gets the ticketv

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
I can see the issue here in IL already. I'm in the left lane passing people doing 60/62 in a 55. Then we have that asshole flying up the left lane doing 90, they are going to force me to really speed up or move over into the slow shit.

There's no winning.

If you're in the left lane doing the limit or under, get the fuck over!

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I'll drive 15 over right next to a cop. no fucks. If that's what traffic is doing that's what I'm driving.

I'll camp the fast lane if I'm driving faster than the rest of traffic. Sorry guy, I'm doing 80 and everyone else is going 60. Not changing lanes to let you go past running 95mph and stuck in a pack of cars going 60. That is plenty fast over the speed limit that you shouldn't be tossing your arms up behind me because I won't get over

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
hasn't this been a law for a while?

Apparently you're right, I just had no idea it was up to a $1,000 fine until I read this article.

The left lane is for passing. I just cant find any fucks to give if you're going faster than the speed limit in the left lane when traffic is moving faster in the right. If I want to go faster than you, move out of my way or I'll pass you on the right at the next, safest opportunity. If someone wants to go faster than me when I'm passing in the left, I'll gladly move over for them at the next safest opportunity... and then maybe use them as my scout :rofl:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Feel like it's a lose lose situation. Keep up with traffic and possibly be hit with a speeding ticket for those asshole cops who sit on the highways during rush hour clocking speeds. Or get hit with a big fine for driving to slow. (Kind grey area as far as to slow) if someone wants to do 80 in a 65. And you are doing 70-75 are you a lane squatter? Who gets the ticketv
Move the fuck over to the right lane and it's a non issue. Left lane is for passing only.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Any time I get stuck in traffic and there's a line of cars clearly stuck behind some fuck-face, I always assume it's a minivan or a fucking Rav4. I'm right literally 98% of the time. I cant even think of a time it hasn't been a minivan or Rav4.

It is literally 98% of the time. I've personally watched a Rav4 enter a highway in front of me and immediately warp across 3 lanes to the far left like it was fucking magnetized. No traffic in front of them to pass for at least a mile :rofl:. Of course I passed his slow ass in the middle lane.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I'll pass them while my truck is still partly in their lane and then sit directly in front of them. They usually move over and then I just speed up and take off as they've now created a line of cars behind them.

:bowrofl: my favorite is watching in my mirror that train length of cars maliciously one after the other cut them off with millimeters to spare. And yet even after all of that, they still don't get the memo to move over.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I'll camp the fast lane if I'm driving faster than the rest of traffic. Sorry guy, I'm doing 80 and everyone else is going 60. Not changing lanes to let you go past running 95mph and stuck in a pack of cars going 60. That is plenty fast over the speed limit that you shouldn't be tossing your arms up behind me because I won't get over

thank god.. I thought I was the only one that did that... The fuck if they wanna go 95mph past me.. NOPE.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL

Want to go slow? Fine! That's what the right lane is for.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info