Thinking of adopting a kitten/cat. Teach me!

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
So we just got all moved and settled into our new house. Now we need a little critter running around.

I have always wanted a cat but never could have one because my mom was allergic. Well nows my chance.

We would love to have a dog but the timing isn't right yet.

I work a m-f 9-5 job and my fiancé works a really weird schedule where she is home 3 days a week.
Is this enough time at home for a cat?

We have a lot of nice furniture, do we have to be prepared for it to get ruined?

What else do I need to know before we go pick one out?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Most cats don't need much attention to be completely happy my cat comes and sits on my lap like 3 times a week lol, keep the litter box clean or they will find another place to pee, get a scratching post or something other than nice furniture for them to tear up, if you have a leather couch consider getting rid of it ir get a thick cover for it if you care at all what it looks like there nails will scratch and cut the leather when they jump on and off of it

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
get a dog.

/thread.

Can't do this with a stinking cat!

5fff32832a614c1572ae0315d3011a96.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I believe there is another active thread that covers this scenario.

Ah. Here it is... http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/off-topic/147697-man-calls-911-because-his-cat.html

Seriously, I have seen good cats that act more like dogs, nasty cats that claw and bite anything that moves and scaredy-cats that people literally do not believe you have because they never see a cat when they visit.

WARNING! Even the good cats cannot be trusted. They will bite you for non logical cat reasons.

1. I'm in a bad mood.
2. You're bothering me.
3. I'm in a good mood and just feel like biting.
4. I love you so much I have to express it by biting you.
5. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
Cats can manage their own food intake. So you don't have to worry about over feeding them like dogs. There's something about the glue on tape that cats love. they will lick/eat tape if they can get it. Apparently, milk is bad for cats. Thanks a lot childhood cartoons for making me think that's what you're supposed to give them. They do love milk though too. Even short hired cats shed a decent amount of hair. Step up your vacuum game. It's been said, but clean the litter box or they WILL find other places to poop/pee. If you're the kind of person who walks around your house at night with the lights off because you know it well enough, turn the lights on. Sleeping cats won't necessarily hear you in time to react, even though they are light sleepers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq2jVB9OGRo

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Best to get one from a shelter as it comes with all the shots and neuter/spay. Also please please consider not declawing the cat. I know it's the easy way out of having them not scratch stuff, but most of the time when a cat is an asshole it is because somebody declawed them. They have a feeling of helplessness with no claws and try and act tough, hence the hissing and batting. Also, declawing isn't just removing the claws, it's actually amputating the last digit of their feet. Many many cats develop bad posture and have chronic pain, another reason for acting like an asshole. I have 5 cats (had 6 for a year) and they all have claws and our furniture is fine. Trust me, if you clip their nails and give them their own space where they are allowed to scratch it will never be a problem. And as far as the litter situation, just give them a clean place to go and the rule of thumb is a box for every cat plus one. We of course don't have 6 boxes, but rather one huge litter box made out of one of those Tupperware bins , about 3x2x2 feet. Never had them piss anywhere but the box.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Can you send some pics?

Milo. we think 2 years old. We've had him for a few hours and he's chill as fuck. He sleeps with this bear and will not go anywhere without it.
8KPnZmK.jpg

And the kitten. Looks like a little possum here. She just lost her brother so she's all alone. Super cute, meows at us and shows effection.
I5g2tAp.jpg

Can get you more pics these are just what I have now. If your looking for anything particular, we can more than likely find it for you. The gf (veterinarian) works with many rescues and shelters. These 2 are just the current fosters she's taking care of.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Cats suck.

Mine is over 22 yrs old and refuses to die. It also, by its own choice, has never left the house.

Interesting post about the 'average' domestic cat. Of course, everything on the internet is 100% accurate...

How much do cats kill? | ScienceDump

I know a cat in my yard might get a pellet in the ass. Then that cat knows my yard is not a good place and doesn't come back.

Get a dog.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
No, don't declaw anything.

Unless you're a giant fat piece of shit. :dunno:

Then I guess I'm a giant fat piece of shit. All three of mine have the fronts declawed and their balls chopped off. Guess what? My furniture is pristine now and they fucking LOVE life. I've never seen any other cats acts like such dogs, as my three do. Hell, I play fetch with my smallest, just like a puppy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info